Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I know I want to add a tow hitch. Subaru's official part is, I guess, a Class 1 hitch. What's that mean? My 4x4 truck friends all have third party hitches that mount to the frame instead of the bumper. Better idea?

I'm wondering what else is a good idea to add to the basic Forester X model (2003, for the one we just bought).

Looking at allsubaru, I see:

tow hitch about $183

What else is worth adding? ( which can I get out of a junkyard, with luck?)

Splash guard/mudflaps? $100

Do they just hold mud in and make it rust like the old Subarus did, or are they useful these days? Certainly the mud thrown from the tires is a nuisance on the side of the vehicle.

Rear sway bar $145 does it really help handling over stock?

Security upgrade $134 More than just blinkenlights?

Do the 'bug deflectors' for the front of the hood do any real good?

Does the 'back window' deflector actually help keep it cleaner? edit.gif

trailer hitches

http://www.hitches4less.com/trailer-hitch-classes.html

mud guards protect the paint and the cars behind you.

security upgrade adds an alarm, but you have to ask yourself, who in thier right mind would steal a forrester.

bug deflectors do work but the can also reduce the ventilation in the car. Just means you have to use the fan more. It moves the auir flow up and over the roof and reduces the air pressure pocket at the base of the window.

Back window deflector, if you have a rear windsheild wiper, thats good enough. It does help keep it clear, not clean, but adds drag to the car and can slightly lower gas mileage.

nipper

>who ... would steal ...?

Kids joyriding hereabouts carry master keys, the local police tell me, and they said around here those are widely available now for most cars and there are only a dozen or so needed. For newer cars, Tasers are being used -- they momentarily scramble a computer and the car doors pop right open.

1) there are cheaper places to buy your add ons.. ;)

see: http://www.subarugenuineparts.com

2) hitch:

if you really need to tow something beefy, get a non factory hitch

but check your owners manual for the towing limits

3) splash guards:

look good!!! and protect the rocker/rear body of the car somewhat

4) bug guard:

they chip. they break. they are a pain to install

and they will scuff your paint slightly.

I would recommend: http://www.rockblocker.com clear guard

5) security upgrade:

of course this is a good idea :) especially if you park on the street

6) rear window deflector

will deflect/direct dust and dirt flow

but personally, i prefer the painted rear spoiler

same effect, looks better :)

Jamie subiegal-smilie.png

Cars101's Subaru page recommends adding a transmission cooler for serious towing with an AT Forester.

Does Subaru make one? I'm about to go in for the 30-month service on a 2003 and this would be the time to get one added, before I put on a trailer hitch at all.

>who ... would steal ...?

Kids joyriding hereabouts carry master keys, the local police tell me, and they said around here those are widely available now for most cars and there are only a dozen or so needed. For newer cars, Tasers are being used -- they momentarily scramble a computer and the car doors pop right open.

heheheh like i said, unless a subaru is a wrx , says turbo, or is the only car parked on the block, your fairly safe. And think about this, if they have master keys, what makes you think they dont have a code scanner. Japanese cars are pretty good about key combinations. Now if it was a american mfg then i would worry.

My freinds and i had chrysler products, out of 7 mopars in a 8 year spread, four keys would start each others cars, two keys would open the doors.

nipper

Cars101's Subaru page recommends adding a transmission cooler for serious towing with an AT Forester.

Does Subaru make one? I'm about to go in for the 30-month service on a 2003 and this would be the time to get one added, before I put on a trailer hitch at all.

any generic tranny cooler will work.

nipper