Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question for all the Megasquirters out there

ok,...what is IAC?

Edit: Ahhh think I've worked it, idle adjust screw???

Pressuming the throttle doesnt close ALL the way, I get that the AAV is to provide air into the intake bypassing the throttle position sensor and throttle valve for cold starting but I'm thinking I can compensate for cold idleing through the Megasquirt software and get rid of this variable bypass route with or without a stable fixed -small amount of bypass -as has been suggested before to fit a 2mm hole in an otherwise permenantly open pipe between pre and post throttle valve.

The megasquirt system is set up to use a General Motors type idle air controller- it just sends more or less power to the solenoid to control idle speed. I don't think the idle air controller has a feedback signal to say where it's at. The system can be run without this, but it may cause some issues with stalling both hot and cold.

On the stock system, the computer uses the AAV/IAC to keep the engine at the specified idle speed, and to increase speed when the engine is cold. It always lets a certain amount of air past, the computer opens it more when the a/c is running, or if it's in gear (automatic) or when you let the clutch out a little to help keep the engine from stalling.

Guest shadow

When MS v1 came out the preffered method of idle control was using a Bosch AAV, of which ours are a licensed Japanese copy. In fact the AAV on the spider intake manifold is physically identical to the MS recommended european version. An AAV is still a highly preferred choice due to simplicity even though we now have IAC capability with MS.

When MS v1 came out the preffered method of idle control was using a Bosch AAV, of which ours are a licensed Japanese copy. In fact the AAV on the spider intake manifold is physically identical to the MS recommended european version. An AAV is still a highly preferred choice due to simplicity even though we now have IAC capability with MS.