Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help please. 96 outback, 2.2L, MT. 56K miles. Idles fine when cold and slightly warm 600 rpm. But after driving 20 minutes or so if i stop and run into the store then the idle goes wild. It will jump up to 1200 to 1800 rpm. sometimes i can kick it down with the gas usually not. i just replaced the IAC valve with a brand new OEM replacement no change. Unhooked the battery for an hour no change. Vacuum is 21 inches off the intake manifold. I am not getting a CEL. What should i check next? i have read things about the alternator, this is an Indiana built car and A flash update from subaru. Has any one with a 96 2.2L had this problem and fixed it?

Larry

Muskegon Mi

I had this problem with a Jeep Cherokee and it was the Throttle Position Sensor. Check it with an old fashion ohm or volt meter with a needle. The needle should swing steadily with no jumps.

Never hurts to check all of your grounds either.

The crazy thing is why does the idle go crazy after i shut the car down for a brief time period then drive it again warm? Is there something that is getting messed up while it sits hot? Can the throttle position sensor do this?. I will clean the neg battery teminal and engine ground connections.

larry