Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 front main bearing noise

I have resolved some very involved repairs with the help of some members here in the past. I have another that I am hoping to get some help on.

The Timing belt went out while visiting a customer. I replaced them. The car started right up, but had a very loud clanking noise. At first I thought it was a bent rod. However, someone said that it wouldn't be that because it doesn't have rods. He said that from the location of the noise, that it was probably the main bearing on the front piston.

I am hoping for some info on a few things.

1.) is it probably the front main bearing?

2.) What caused this

3.) what steps to take for repair.

I know I have to take off the oil pan. How do I remove the front main bearing? How do I install the new one. Is there specific torqing infoved. If so what are the torque specs.

Also any other steps or info that I would need for this.

Thank you in advance for your help:)

CITRUSHARK

i doubt it's the main bearing.

if it is you'll have to remove the engine and completely disassemble. there's no easy way to drop the pan and start replacing individual bearings. the entire motor has to come out and be disassembled.

what kind of noise? is it not the oil pump or timing belt? any metal pieces in the oil pan? timing belt idlers or the oil pump could make excessive noise at the front of the engine depending on what happened to it.

that the timing belt broke and this thing started making the noise with the new belt seems to indicate to me that something is wrong with a timing belt related item...pulley bearings, bolts, pulleys or the oil pump/oil pump sprockets.

I agree with gary. Replace your idler and tensioners. Check play/noise in your oil pump. And make sure all your sprockets are bolted on tightly. I know I had a bolt back out on one of my camshaft sprockets and it made a helluvah clacking noise as it clanked around.

Good luck!

i doubt it's the main bearing.

if it is you'll have to remove the engine and completely disassemble. there's no easy way to drop the pan and start replacing individual bearings. the entire motor has to come out and be disassembled.

what kind of noise? is it not the oil pump or timing belt? any metal pieces in the oil pan? timing belt idlers or the oil pump could make excessive noise at the front of the engine depending on what happened to it.

that the timing belt broke and this thing started making the noise with the new belt seems to indicate to me that something is wrong with a timing belt related item...pulley bearings, bolts, pulleys or the oil pump/oil pump sprockets.

Thanks for the fast reply,

I will pull off the timing belt cover,and check the bolts and pulleys. It sounds like a loud lifter noise. But I know that they are hydraulic and would not make that noise.

also the oil pump has what you might call guides, kind of low profile ridges on the outer and inner diameters that ride along both sides of the timing belt. just small ridges sort of. these can separate from the pump, probably would have to be previously damaged to do so.