Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all, a guy I work with has a 1995 Legacy Wagon and he claims that a mechanic he uses had to replace the rack and pinion steering on his Sub. I have never heard of this myself but then again I've only driven Loyales and older. Is this possible or is this mechanic blowing smoke?? Thanx, Toni.

I just had to change my rack myself on my 98 Legacy Brighton. Rolled around in the parking lot for a while, but it had to be done. My rack poured fluid (bad seals) and had a bad inner tie rod. Got pretty bad by 210,000 miles. That's hydraulics for ya.

I had to get that done on my old 1983 Tercel quite a few years ago, when it got really loose, and I'm starting to hear a little groaning from my 1988 GL wagon power steering and the local mechanic tells me it's the steering rack wearing. I'll get a second opinion on that, or several.

Had to get the PS pump rebuilt and steel hoses replaced on my 1969 Dodge van recently too, and with only 98k miles on it.

Well I guess anything can and does wear out. You see this guy is always dissing Subarus and was once again bringing up another example of why they are of little value. I on the other hand disagree. I've had real good luck with them. You just need to know what to watch for. Just like this Suby I just picked up last week. Yes,it has some issues but, I'll get them resolved and I will have a car that won't be on the recall list every few months. Unlike his other vehicle, a 1998 Chevy Pickup. Toni.