Ultimate Subaru Message Board

question: tensioner adjuster

Attempting my first timing belt/water pump replacement and have a question regarding compressing the tensioner adjuster. All the literature I have (FSM, Haynes, Chilton) shows the compression being done with the adjuster in the vertical position, is it acceptable to compress it in a horizontal position (in a bench vise)? Oh it is the old style tensioner, tubular about six inches long. Thanks and I am certain this will be the first of many questions.

I believe your supposed to compress the adjuster the same way that it is situated or mounted to your engine. Mounted vertically, compress vertically, mounted horizontally, compress horizontally. Remember to compress it very slowly.

Good Luck.

I believe your supposed to compress the adjuster the same way that it is situated or mounted to your engine. Mounted vertically, compress vertically, mounted horizontally, compress horizontally. Remember to compress it very slowly.

Good Luck.

elmwood22,

Thanks for the advice, sounds logical and roger on the compress slowly. In this application (97 Legacy L 2.2) it is mounted horizontally, so looks like the bench vise will work. Again thanks.

I used a c-clamp to compress mine, it seemed to work well. The key is to go slowly to give time for the adjuster to equilibrate while you're compressing it. This is for the old style adjuster. I hear the newer ones may be a little more finicky.

Matt D

BigMattyD and edrach,

Thanks for the replies. And thanks for the tip on the "grenade pin", I would be the one to put it so I couldn't get it out!

You'll laugh, the first 3 out of 4 that I did were installed upside down! So much for a 50-50 chance of doing it wrong.:rolleyes: