Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Picking up an XT Turbo

Hey guys, Im from the Legacycentral BBS

My Legacy Turbo just blew up ANOTHER transmission, so Im taking it off the road until I can afford to buy a built up WRX tranny. In the meantime, Im checking out an 86 XT Turbo tonight. $500

Its got a bad CV joint (not a huge deal I know) and Im going to do a compression test and check the rad cap for bubbles while the engine is on.

Aside from that, anything else you'd suggest?

Im going to most likely throw on my VF11 and downpipe from my legacy, as well as a few other bits and pieces. Ive got an upgraded alternator which I hope will fit. This is gonna be my first EA82T car. Im gonna start looking for another set of heads and a pair of headgaskets right away, since I want to up the boost a little (intercooled)

In the meantime, Im checking out an 86 XT Turbo tonight. $500

Its got a bad CV joint (not a huge deal I know) and Im going to do a compression test and check the rad cap for bubbles while the engine is on.

Aside from that, anything else you'd suggest?

Kick rump roast, man. I've got the same car. Sounds like you have an idea of what you're doing so I won't subject you to the standard deluge of "things to check". There really isn't too much beyond I'd recommend. Although...

Pop off the aluminum intake doohickey ( says "Subaru Turbo" and connects the turbo unit to the throttle body - you can't miss it - it's right in the middle of the engine and it's pretty when you clean it up ) and look inside. Check the aluminum tube and the throttle body for signs of oil. If you see any, expect to replace the turbo soon. Also, look for any leaks around the turbo itself where the coolant and oil lines connect.

You should be familiar with TOD, so don't worry if you hear that - it's easily repaired.

Can't think of anything else at the moment. I got mine for $350, so you should offer $250 and go from there. ;) Good luck!

Pop off the aluminum intake doohickey ( says "Subaru Turbo" and connects the turbo unit to the throttle body - you can't miss it - it's right in the middle of the engine and it's pretty when you clean it up ) and look inside. Check the aluminum tube and the throttle body for signs of oil. If you see any, expect to replace the turbo soon.

Um, not so. With a 20 year old motor, you'll likely have some PCV issues, and so you will get oil condensation on the intake plenum (the intake doohickey as you called it). In fact, that's what most of the oil found in the intake is from. When Turbo seals start to go, they go really quick, so you'd know... But, he's probably gonna put his VF11 in it anyways so no problem :grin:

BTW, I own an 86 XT Turbo. I love it. Seems most of the XT Turbos are 86 models. Crazy.

Um, not so. With a 20 year old motor, you'll likely have some PCV issues, and so you will get oil condensation on the intake plenum (the intake doohickey as you called it). In fact, that's what most of the oil found in the intake is from. When Turbo seals start to go, they go really quick, so you'd know...

Hrmm... So the PCV connection on the intake *to* the turbo could get some oil in it, and therefore it would go *through* the turbo and appear in the intake plenum *from* the turbo and on to the throttle body? Hrmm... I never considered this.. I guess something like a blown head gasket could get the oil foamy enough to work it's way up some of those PCV connections? Maybe I'll go back to the JY and yank that turbo after all.... ;)

Cheers

I guess something like a blown head gasket could get the oil foamy enough to work it's way up some of those PCV connections?

Doesn't even need to be a blown HG. I think you'll find nearly all Turbos have oil in the intake plenum. A good thing to check, since the PCV hoses meet up right after the air cleaner, check the air cleaner and the air tube out for oil. If there is no oil there, then be concerned about the turbo.