Ultimate Subaru Message Board

spare tire or no spare tire?

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to keeping the spare under the hood. OR is it better to keep in the back or racked on the roof?

Does is help structre or does it do harm but creating more heat?

I think the reason for putting the tire under the hood, was cause subaru can. I dont think it makes any difference, maybe in an accident it will help keep the engine from going through your fire wall... but doubt that was subaru's intention.

Putting the tire on your roof will cause more drag and decrease your fuel milage. The tire in your engine bay wont create any added heat, not any that would harm your motor.

-Brian

If anything, it might damage the tire, being exposed to the high temps under the hood. I just have mine in the back of the Hatch (I lost the hold-down for the underhood mount), but that's a real bad place to be in a wreck. Once I get the lift done, it'll get it's own swing mount on the rear.

hi

i put mine in the trunk.

no heat and the engine have more space of cold air or better air vent in the engine.

As do I. Found a nice vinyl spare tire cover with a cherry spare in it from an old XT in the junkyard. I'm sure it wouldn't stay so nice if it were under the hood; plus it puts some ballast over the rear tires for better handling.;)