Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I bought a 02 Forester.......

and I couldn't be happier. I was origianlly looking into an Impreza wagon, but they are extremley rare in these parts. At first I thought the Forester was a bit homely, and I wouldn't even consider one. But the more I looked at them the more they grew on me.

All is not perfect however. The oil is either way overfilled or I'm not checking it correctly. I have never had a problem checking oil on anything before this. I did a search and found that it can be tricky, with oil tending to get sucked up the dipstick tube. I plan on changing it tomorrow and after putting in the correct amount check where the oil level is on the dipstick.

The brakes seem a bit soft. The pedal goes down to what feels like too much, then feel and stop fine. I'm going to bleed the brakes and see if that helps.

There is one odd tire. It is the same size, but a different brand. All the tires look fairly new, but I am going to get 4 new tires ASAP. I didn't realize it was that important until after I bought it. That'll teach me to buy a Subaru from a Toyata dealer.

and I couldn't be happier. I was origianlly looking into an Impreza wagon, but they are extremley rare in these parts. At first I thought the Forester was a bit homely, and I wouldn't even consider one. But the more I looked at them the more they grew on me.

All is not perfect however. The oil is either way overfilled or I'm not checking it correctly. I have never had a problem checking oil on anything before this. I did a search and found that it can be tricky, with oil tending to get sucked up the dipstick tube. I plan on changing it tomorrow and after putting in the correct amount check where the oil level is on the dipstick.

The brakes seem a bit soft. The pedal goes down to what feels like too much, then feel and stop fine. I'm going to bleed the brakes and see if that helps.

There is one odd tire. It is the same size, but a different brand. All the tires look fairly new, but I am going to get 4 new tires ASAP. I didn't realize it was that important until after I bought it. That'll teach me to buy a Subaru from a Toyata dealer.

Hello:

I have a '99 Forester- same car as yours, 2002 was last year of this form of Forester; I had the same misgivings about the oil level on dipstick, and I have come to not worry about it, moreover I think the readings on the stick are supposed to be a, " range." As long as your shop follows the manufactures guidlines for oil fill, and your engine doesn't use a great deal, you should be fine in between changes.

My brakes (with 120000K) were performing like yours; it required two new Rotors and pads; the shop installed high quality pads ( They're Painted on the outside) and must say the breaking performance is awsome! Moreover I don't have any brake dust to deal with.

My car came with new cooper tires; I must say I won't

get them again, the side walls have long cracks on all four, they ride hard, one has a fantom leak that no one can figure out,( Note I take meticulous care of this car- allignments, rotations, etc,) this with only two years and 25000 miles!

Next time I am going with Goodyear, or Michellin tires.

When the times comes for parts, I recomend on line parts suppliers; they are compettitive in price, and it is very convenent! I have had fun learning how to do some of this myself, though I by no means a mechanic.

Best of luck.

John

re: the dipstick thing:

Usually I'll shut it off, pull & wipe the stick really good and just let the car sit with the stick out for 15-20 min. That gives the tube enough time to clear out in order to go back and get a reasonably legible result.

If the front of the stick is still smeared a bit, sometimes the back is not smeared so badly, so check it too.

It takes a bit longer for the oil to drain back into the crankcase on a boxer engine than one with upright cylinders, since it flows horizontally. So it can be a bit tricky to get the right reading sometimes. Put in 4.5 quarts when you change it and check it cold once in a while. The brake pads have a tendency to seize in the caliper brackets, which will give your brakes a mushy feeling. Rust scale builds up on both the pad plates and the brackets under the pad clips. Sometimes it has to be chiseled away. Coat the brackets under the pad clips and the contact points on the pad plates with antiseize to prevent the rust.