Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I stopped NAPA to get a thermostat for my 95 Legacy 2.2. Took the old one out, and replaced it with the new one and gasket.

However, it leaks and I was afraid to tighten the bolts any further.

I noticed that the gasket goes around the thermostat, not like the one on my 88.

So, what did I do wrong?

Mike, KD7GHZ

You might to check that the seal fits squarely into the housing, that it's not snagged or deformed along the mating surfaces.

You could also try cleaning the mating surfaces with skotchbrite pad.

If that doesn't work, try installing the seal in the old orientation -- on top of the thermostat rather than around its circumference.

Careful with aftermarket thermostats. People have had problems.

I know on my 97 2.5L that the thermostat 'guts' are offset. It only goes in in one orientation. Some aftermarket t-stats have been known to interfere with the housing. And this may only happen as the valve tries to open, thereby not opening fully and causing overheating.

I believe the 2.2L is the same. It's safest to stick with OEM for this part.

Commuter

Went to the Subaru Dealer got another theromostat, installed it and no leaking. Finished putting in antifreeze and it seems to work. I ran it for about 45 minutes and it did not get hot, seemed to get hot when the vehicle wasn't moving. Fans all work, heat out of the heater.

So we will now wait and see.

Mike, KD7GHZ

Went to the Subaru Dealer got another theromostat, installed it and no leaking. Finished putting in antifreeze and it seems to work. I ran it for about 45 minutes and it did not get hot, seemed to get hot when the vehicle wasn't moving. Fans all work, heat out of the heater.

So we will now wait and see.

Mike, KD7GHZ

Did same thing on my 95 legacy. The thermostat did not work well, did leak, and finally purchased OEM thermostat. Problem solved.

Did same thing with spark plugs. Purched nice Bosche platimum plugs and the car skipped. Went back to OEM plugs, problem solved. Have discovered that Subaru knows what they are doing and the engines are tuned to the specific parts. From now on I will put in OEM parts period

Monk50