Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 OBW - smell of transmission fluid

I park my OBW in the garage, so I can tell that there are no leaks, at least nothing leaking enough to drip on the floor.

However, when I get home and get out of the car, I can always smell transmission fluid. The fluid level seems to be holding steady.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thx

two things use transmission type fluid, the transmission and the power steering system. i bet the PS system is leaking onto the exhaust pipe. Check the O rings at the rack for a leak.

nipper

Will do...can you describe what/where "the rack" is?

I almost always smell a coolant type smell from my car when I walk in front of it once it is turned off. My g/f just got a 05 legacy and I smell the same thing when I shut off her car. No leaks that can be seen. Always stumped me but everything runs fine and levels are consistant

I almost always smell a coolant type smell from my car when I walk in front of it once it is turned off. My g/f just got a 05 legacy and I smell the same thing when I shut off her car. No leaks that can be seen. Always stumped me but everything runs fine and levels are consistant

my 1997 PBW i smell coolant 185,000 miles, and my freinds 1995 forester 10,000 miles i smell coolant. No puddles, no loss in the cooling system, so i just ignore it.

nipper

if you don't know what a rack is you may not know the smell of trans fluid.

but the smeel of a torn cv boot can be distinctive. check on the passenger side under the hood, look for black stuff on the front edge of the exhaust. also check for a torn cv boot. the black accordion-like thing on the axel shaft, between the side of the trans and the wheel.

when the boot tears, grease is thrown onto the exhaust and it burns/smells.

good luck.

Will do...can you describe what/where "the rack" is?