Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bucking/hesitation when accelerating and uphill

I have a 1996 OBW automatic 2.5 with 149k miles. For about a month I have been experiencing kind of a bucking/hesitation primarily when going up hills. This problem was more pronounce before I had a tune-up done. I have replaced air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, pcv and TPS (because of a CEL), and O2 sensor. The problem is worse with the air on. Recently I have noticed the problem on the level when accelerating. Also as I mentioned in another thread(sorry nipper), I have been experiencing rather poor fuel economy (13-15 city with AC). I have run Seafoam throught the vacuum lines. Also, the problem seems worse if I run less than 91 Octane fuel. Any help would be great. Thanks.

O, I forgot to mention that it occurs between 2k-3k rpm

I have a 1996 OBW automatic 2.5 with 149k miles. For about a month I have been experiencing kind of a bucking/hesitation primarily when going up hills. This problem was more pronounce before I had a tune-up done. I have replaced air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, pcv and TPS (because of a CEL), and O2 sensor. The problem is worse with the air on. Recently I have noticed the problem on the level when accelerating. Also as I mentioned in another thread(sorry nipper), I have been experiencing rather poor fuel economy (13-15 city with AC). I have run Seafoam throught the vacuum lines. Also, the problem seems worse if I run less than 91 Octane fuel. Any help would be great. Thanks.

O, I forgot to mention that it occurs between 2k-3k rpm

have you had the car checked for codes?

nipper

Sounds like a knock sensor to me. That is what just went out in our '02 Forester with the same symptoms. Difference is that I get a CEL, and the code is P0325.

I've read a little about the knock sensor reading out of range. Can you tell me where it is? I couldn't see it from the top. Is it something a novice can do with minimal tools?

I've read a little about the knock sensor reading out of range. Can you tell me where it is? I couldn't see it from the top. Is it something a novice can do with minimal tools?

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm people

yes it is very doable, and yes this can screw you up.

DO you have ye olde haynes manuale

nipper

Yes, I'll have to look when I get home from work. Do you think this is all that could be causing it?

if you had a code reader on the car you can see in realtime what the car is doing when the bucking happens, but yes it can. And it can do it without throwing a code.

nipper

this is basically the same problem i'm having, except mine will actuallt stall (stalled twice driving to work, and it's 4 miles) i replaced my knock sensor with an oem part, and it did absolutely nothing...i read something about de-sensitizing it however with resistors...

ok here is something. Can you get to a junkyard and get a coil or two. it can be a weak coil, but i dont want anyone going out buying new ones untill its been checked out incase im wrong.

nipper

PS keep in mind the puter isnt my forte

• 4 months later...

I have the same problem (legacy wagon '96, 2.2l). Stalls or almost stalls. Tried everything that I possibily could (spark plugs, wires, iginition coil, all filters, all fluid changes, cleaning injectors, different fuel grades, brands etc). No luck. I stopped short of changing the cat, when the dealer suggested that as the next step for two reasons: 1) not absolutely sure that it was going to work 2) did not want to sink more $$$ just to see if it works.

One of the things I noticed was that when I let go of the accelerator while going uphill once or twice, the problem does not occur. While this is providing some relief, I would like to get this permanently fixed. Any ideas or suggestions?

I have the same problem (legacy wagon '96, 2.2l). Stalls or almost stalls. Tried everything that I possibily could (spark plugs, wires, iginition coil, all filters, all fluid changes, cleaning injectors, different fuel grades, brands etc). No luck. I stopped short of changing the cat, when the dealer suggested that as the next step for two reasons: 1) not absolutely sure that it was going to work 2) did not want to sink more $$$ just to see if it works.

One of the things I noticed was that when I let go of the accelerator while going uphill once or twice, the problem does not occur. While this is providing some relief, I would like to get this permanently fixed. Any ideas or suggestions?

Well, I tried all of the things you did and the problem only got better when I stopped using the air conditioner. It is still there but is not nearly as bad with less load on the engine. All of this is a mute point as I now have head gasket problems. I will probably be getting rid of the car at this point.