Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'84 GL-10 popped freeze plug & sat; saving it?

I'm getting an '84 GL-10 sedan for free from a friend of mine. It's black, has the Star Wars wheels and a digital cluster, and even has some kickass (unopened) window louvers sitting in the trunk and waiting to go on it.

The problem is, the car was running a while back with straight water in the system. It sat over winter and, you know it, popped a freeze plug.

I'm rather new to the Subaru scene, but I happen to know Miles Fox so that should be helpful. I'm wondering if I can get this thing to run again. AFAIK, it turns over. Are there any precautions I should take, or should I pound in some plugs and get it going? Where can I even get some new freeze plugs for it?

GL-10?!? Digital gauges?!? sweetness... don't let this thing die, its definitely an 80's classic.

from what i've heard, once the freeze plugs have fallen out, you will need to find new ones to install, yet i drove an EA-81 around for a month after reusing an old freeze plug in my GL-10 wagon. Still the latter approach should only be a temporary solution to be safe, cause if it falls out while driving...well two words, chocolate milkshake.

Just replace the freezeout plug. The freezout plug did exaclty what it was supposed to do. You will have to flush the cooling system, and dont be surprised itf it needs a raditor, but it should be fine. i would be more worried if the freezeout plug didnt pop.

Worse case scenario is that you got a sweet body that may need a block, but i seriously doubt thats the problem.

nipper

subaru i would try, but i know a GOOD autoparts store (not a chain) will have a variety of them and should have a book to match them up. It's been a while since ive had to replace them, but i found both sources good.

nipper

Alright, I'll see what I can find. Unfortunetely, we pretty much have nothing but chains here. :(

Here's some pictures of the car, for those who are curious. It's not quite as bad as it looks.

http://evilallianceracing.com/ipw-web/gallery/album315

do you have a speed shop? they can help you out.

Also if you can actually measure the plug, that would help alot too. You may have to try the chains, stranger things have been known to Happen, if you have a pep boys, go to them last (sorry they make me break out in a rash). I am a huge supporter of mom and pop stores. Ask your mechanic where he gets his auto parts, as that should be a non chain store, or at least one that he trusts.

nipper

Shakotan Boogie, eh, Desmond? I had to Google it just to figure out what the hell you're on about. Glad to see you here.

For those just joining the discussion, Desmond here has wound up with the grim duty of custody over most of the derelict heaps in my parents' backyard (who are fed up with such things, especially since I'm summering in central New York State...)

This particular beast hasn't been run since '05, wherein it ran for aoubt 15 min. before we noticed it milkshaking. Prior to that, it was off the road since the early '90's.

Up next for him will be doing an EA82 engine replacement and 5-speed D/R swap into the Trashwagon replica which I am also giving him. We've got a little more to shoot with it and this is most likely the quickest way of getting it on the road again.

if you tear the engine down and replace the freeze plugs and the gaskets/seals on the engine (valve covers, intake gaskets, front/rear main seals, etc.) and put it back together, you'll be fine. My first Subaru was a '83 GL 2wd hatchback that sat for 8 years after the freeze plugs in the passenger side head blew out. So it had water in the crankcase the whole time. Replaced them and some seals, cleaned the carbr eal good and she ran pretty decent. Since it had the Carter-Weber carb on it, she didn't like to run too well on start up being cold but she'd warm up nice and ran halfway decent. I bet if I would have put a Weber or a Hitachi carb on it, she would have been much happier.

Nice score!