Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've been running a JDM EJ20G for over two years now, no problems (knock on wood), I didn't even replace any seals when I installed it. I have no experience with a JDM EJ25 DOHC, but since it is basically the same as the USDM engine, I would assume that is has the same problems. Like the old adage states, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, it would probably be worth your time to replace the head gaskets (USDM stuff should be the same) and seals.

PS: I was probably lucky with my EJ20G, I know of another that lasted less the 100 miles after installation.

Well everyone always says around 35,000 miles but unless they physically remove these engines themselves they would never know the year of the car or the exact mileage. The theory is a JDM engine should average around 40,000 miles is what I have heard. I spent around $950 for all the seals, timing belt, clutch kit etc for my old engine for the engine to last two days...I am sure I can salvage some seals and of course the timing belt/clutch kit. So I can figure new head gaskets for sure, $90 worth of peace of mind. :rolleyes:

i had an older generation JDM motor come with a bad headgasket. "good running condition" was the prepurchase claim. after installing and finding the head gasket leak their warranty consisted of offering two head gaskets which i have yet to see either.

yes it's only one experience but i'll never buy one again. easier to find, rebuild or reseal as i see fit.

Who did you buy it from?

i had an older generation JDM motor come with a bad headgasket. "good running condition" was the prepurchase claim. after installing and finding the head gasket leak their warranty consisted of offering two head gaskets which i have yet to see either.

yes it's only one experience but i'll never buy one again. easier to find, rebuild or reseal as i see fit.

Thanks Gary, I have two places near me in NJ that sell JDM engines...just deciding who to buy from in the next dew days.

Would you let me know what places you are considering? I'm not too far from you, and even though I don't need an engine right now, it never hurts to know what's around.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought mine today for $920 shipped to my house with liftgate service. These guys(I dealt with Mike) were very nice on the phone and I should have my engine in about 4-5 days. I am going to install new Head gaskets before I install it though to give me piece of mind.

http://www.tigerjapanese.com/index.php?cPath=47

Would you let me know what places you are considering? I'm not too far from you, and even though I don't need an engine right now, it never hurts to know what's around.