Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Climate control - air conditioning

I purchased a used '03 outback wagon with a climate control system. I've noticed that, while switching through the different modes, when I get to the mode with the defroster the air conditioning comes on. Is this normal?

Yes, works better as the air is dried by the AC.

... and the defrosters are on, cant turn to recirc.

When I switch to recirc in my 2002 Forester, I am (almost) sure that this is a manual operation, because I can hear and feel a flap(?) move behind the controls. If I'm correct, then this means that I can turn to recirc regardless of the heater settings.

When I switch to recirc in my 2002 Forester, I am (almost) sure that this is a manual operation, because I can hear and feel a flap(?) move behind the controls. If I'm correct, then this means that I can turn to recirc regardless of the heater settings.

my 1997 cant, nor my 1998

nipper

My '96 is the same way. When you hit the defrost button the recirculate light goes out. I guess defrost is fresh air only.

But you can turn up the heat on defrost and get warm (ambient) dry air blowing on the windows, very effective.