Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My idle and shifting first 2 gears

I drive a 97 subaru impreza 2.2 5 speed and lately it has been idling well above 1200 rpms, if I let it sit for a few seconds it might go down 100 rpms but overall I think this is higher then it should be. Any ideas?

Also I really need to push my lower gears to get any good acceleration out of the thing, would it be normal to shift 1st and 2nd at 4500 or 5000 rpms or should I not push the thing that hard? Basicly I want the best gas milage and have my engine last as long as possible but I dont know if shifting gears that high regularly would hurt more then if I always shifted at say 3000. Thanks.

I drive a 97 subaru impreza 2.2 5 speed and lately it has been idling well above 1200 rpms, if I let it sit for a few seconds it might go down 100 rpms but overall I think this is higher then it should be. Any ideas?

Also I really need to push my lower gears to get any good acceleration out of the thing, would it be normal to shift 1st and 2nd at 4500 or 5000 rpms or should I not push the thing that hard? Basicly I want the best gas milage and have my engine last as long as possible but I dont know if shifting gears that high regularly would hurt more then if I always shifted at say 3000. Thanks.

higher the rpms, more gas you suck down. Shift as low as possible without lugging the engine for better gas mileage.

Have you had the car checked for codes. Usually idle is the IAC

nipper

Do you have 4 tires of the same kind and wear on the car? If you don't, that can make for a nasty deadspot between 1 and 3k RPM which would require you to run the RPM a little high.

The engine can take the revving, just make sure your timing belt is fairly new.

Do you have 4 tires of the same kind and wear on the car? If you don't, that can make for a nasty deadspot between 1 and 3k RPM which would require you to run the RPM a little high.

How's that happen?

I understand that it's important to the AWD system to run equal tires, but I don't see how not doing it could lead to a dead spot between 1000 and 3000 RPM.