Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I made a short loyale vid

My 2wd non-turbo 5spd going from 2nd to 4th gear, nearly floored. I wanted to capture this, as it is what made me realize my little loyale isn't so slow anymore. :rolleyes:

The speedo sticks through 45-65, my speeding ticket of 13mph over allowed me to synchronize tach to bad speedo. 3rd gear @ 6000 rpm is 75. Being I have seen even stranger vids of cars, Why aren't there more loyale vids?!:cool:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/147fc907-8117-4497-a76e-980f01104d87.htm

nice! had i tried that in my wagon i would probably be having a beer at the pearly gates right now..

The first realizationthe old sube was quickere than I thought was getting pulled over. I was climbing a steep hill thinkin "I am barely doing the speed limit" and the officer went flying by me the other way-- at the time I was in third around 5500 rpm with a speedo on 55-- he pulled me right over with a uTurn to inform/ticket me for 68mph! I was dumbfounded, not being my nature in the 17 years of driving with no speeding ticket.134 bucks later.. I am still mad as it was the cost of my new radiator :banghead:

The first realizationthe old sube was quickere than I thought was getting pulled over. I was climbing a steep hill thinkin "I am barely doing the speed limit" and the officer went flying by me the other way-- at the time I was in third around 5500 rpm with a speedo on 55-- he pulled me right over with a uTurn to inform/ticket me for 68mph! I was dumbfounded, not being my nature in the 17 years of driving with no speeding ticket.134 bucks later.. I am still mad as it was the cost of my new radiator :banghead:
How did he time you at that speed? When he pulled a u turn did he follow you for at least half a mile. Or did he have radar?

How did he time you at that speed? When he pulled a u turn did he follow you for at least half a mile. Or did he have radar?

He followed me through a slow zone, (small town intersection) than pulled me over, must have been a good mile. I knew I was going to get pulled over due to the speed of his Uturn. He went on to to tell me I continued to do 55 in a 25 but he was giving me a break for the 13mph ticket... I explained my bad speedometer prob, and he listened to that extent.I did get hints on the highway something was unusual through the whole range of speedo, even after it appears to be unstuck. At 70 I am passing a majority, unless it is a summer trip down I-95 in maine (5 cars bumper to bumper doing 100 even is very common -- I want to make the old sube even casually faster top end because of it-- just to get out of the freakin way :mad: !).So, needless to say, I count on the tach, stays smooth. Above 45mph I am synchin it in my head. The short vid caught most of the deception, towards the very end speedo snaps to 72 -- and it is still wrong to the taller tires I have. 3rd gear @ 6000 is to be considered 75mph. It doesn't take long to get there either ... surprise surprise :) . I have gone as far as to compare it to some v8 cars take off , that I have owned.

This makes me think... Maybe I should get a clip taking off in the dual carb EA81...

Just for a bit of a show off...

please do! It's documented history! "pictures are worth a thousand words" -- put it in a video, there's not much to say. :)

can you bark 2nd gear? i wanna hear that, lol.

from 1st to second is so low, I think I would break something in that maneuver :-\ . Way too much applied in a short time to slam it like a hammer .. yikes.. (and it doesn't even want to "burn rubber"

That noise from 2nd to third is not a mic anomoly - kinda sounds like a blow off valve. I have no freakin idea what it is -- only over 5000rpm from 2nd to 3rd (clutch diggin in?). I heard this noise only once before from a wagon, doing same function. It was mentioned fuel pressure releasing going back to the tank, the loyales hardly ever have to do that(?).

25mph (short highway on ramp) to 75 by the end of it, is all I am after.. to calmly settle down to 38mpg maintaining the 70's for what feels like 10000 miles straight without a problem....Ahhhhhh :)

I would love to see an ea82T havin fun vid-- the vids on net don't seem to exist.

When I get my wagon up and running, hopefully in the next week or so (knock on wood). I'll have some movies coming out. :D maybe we can make a compilation.

I have a GL-10 though not a loyale vid so I don't know if we are gonna get along :headbang:

i remember when i had my first ea82 wagon with 300K....i took it too the strip and hit faster times in 2wd rather than 4wd.... my slowest time was a 21.2@64mph and the fastest time with msd, iridium plugs, 2 1/4" exhaust one cat removed, intake, a tornado, a fully stripped interior/spare tire and 100 octane racing fuel was 19.12@70mph and i always had a .500-.600 reaction (.500 being the bast for bracket racing), how is that for non-turbo fun.....woo hoo :lol:

i remember when i had my first ea82 wagon with 300K....i took it too the strip and hit faster times in 2wd rather than 4wd.... my slowest time was a 21.2@64mph and the fastest time with msd, iridium plugs, 2 1/4" exhaust one cat removed, intake, a tornado, a fully stripped interior/spare tire and 100 octane racing fuel was 19.12@70mph and i always had a .500-.600 reaction (.500 being the bast for bracket racing), how is that for non-turbo fun.....woo hoo :lol:

thats the stuff I am talkin about....It is not truly enthusiastically documented anywhere that I can find-- and digital vid is very easy to come by to record and keep it free info.I have even found the old slow poke beetles out there with good free documented vid. who cares how fast it is!

(reply to previous post)

I had a DL -- the toughest part was the radiator, and egr was something to forget about (no probs).That seems funny to say, as my neighbor who worked on his old 79 sube for years, used to joke-- time to pull the radiator with an engine hoist and pull another sube in for the rebuild, (and drop the everlasting radiator in) :lol: .The first GL I saw (the last) was with the first year of spfi and did in fact have differences than now,problems that disappeared with loyales.The body at <10 years was falling apart. My friend literally had to change the hatch door on the wagon- it was missing entire pieces of steel in angled places from rust- it happened to many of them here- rear quarters, paint failing, front of hood- fenders and doors were pathetic. he called it the hatch door the bulk head, the car twisted without it shut.I learned in the year 1992, from a brand new loyale owner-- there is indeed something different.Driveline was snappier, body was quieter (softer body) -all on same appearance of most every part. I personally found it to be the underside below our feet -- it is more pliable, less likely to rust, never going to break (like my DL).The years are proving it silently.By the time gl's and Dl's proved the weak running unibodies (which made engine power way underestimated)- they got real cheap, real fast.now I am seeing old loyales at 12-15 years all in the same locale, with much less body probs and axles that lasted, and timing belts and even more miles, looking better - and still kinda fun to throttle up in.for next to nothing -- why is nobody talking? They get beaten just like every old sube I see.As far as I know- not even Subaru talked differences. It's like finding subes with oem gadgets ya never heard of sometimes. I believe just the loyale existing is one of them.

I bet years after I am done with subes--I'll see a loyale going by with the silence that never explained them, except for the negative things of previous years models.I ran a DL for 8 years till it was 17 to learn this.

Hope you make a vid- :)