Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just discovered a kind of rattling noise coming from the valve cover area of my 92 legacy 2.2 non turbo. It sounds like a rattle from a lifter (like in the old chevy V8's). This only happens when under a load, like coming up a steep hill or hard acceleration. Is this common? Could it be from the cheap NE PA gas? Or is it possibly something more? She has 128,000 miles and I purchased her with 125,000 miles. I do not know if it had the timing belts replaced or not. I have not replaced the plugs yet. The old oil was not bad looking when I changed it. Any help will be appreciated.

Andy

mtrmouth24@yahoo.com

Thanks

Two potential explanations, both common with first gens Legacy's.

One, it's the fuel injectors just clacking away. They are noisy and sometimes get exessively.

Two, your HLA's need bleeding. Your engine has hydralic valve lash adjusters that will get air in them if your oil got too low at some point. Sometimes they just die. Either way it makes a heck of a racket. Often times replacing the oil will take of them but sometimes you have to take them out and manually 'refill' them. This is a simple process and you can leave the engine in the car. Just take off your valve covers, push on the various valves until you find the loose ones, push hard and if they're dead you'll know it. From there it's 8 bolts to pull off the rocker assembly and then the HLA's will pull out.

Have you taken a screwdriver to probe to find the noise? If it's coming from under the valve covers then I'd put my money on the HLA's.

Hey guys thanks for the info, I did run fuel injector cleaner with the last 2 out of 3 tanks of gas. This tank is just gas and it seems to be louder. The oil was changed about 2000 miles ago so it is just about due. It is definately not making any noise at idle, just when you pull a steep hill, and it sounds louder on the passenger side. A friend was behind me the other day and said it looks like the car is loading up when shifting into passing gears. We were going up a long hill at a decent rate of speed and I pulled out to pass someone and got on the gas pretty heavy, at that point he said there was black smoke(I believe he said black) out the tailpipe. He thinks it needs new plugs, but this doesn't explain the pinging noise.

Have you tried probing yet? Have you pulled off the passenger valve cover (it's three low torque screws)? Is the sound a clacking, like two pieces of metal hitting, or does it sound like a piston is misfiring, much deepr and throatier? Do you notice any excessive engine vibration when it starts makeing this noise?

Is your friend sure the smoke was black? Unburnt gas doesn't come out as black smoke. Does your engine hold steady oil levels?

New plugs and wires are always going to help on an old engine that hasn't been touched in a while although I still don't think that's going to fix your problem unless the sound is the sound of a missing piston. Changing the oil and filter won't do anything either if your oil levels are correct and you still have the problem.

I haven't tried probing, I do not have a probe and need to get one. As far as the oil level is fine, has been since the oil was changed. I will have to ask about the smoke again. It does sound like a clacking. I thought it sounded like worn out rocker arms on an old chevy V8.

Since I purchased this car the only things I have done is rear brakes, oil change, and installed a cone filter with a home made heat shield. I am gonna put the airbox back on and see if that changes things.

The only times I hear the noise is when it shifts into 3rd or 4th gear going up hills. I havent heard it at any other times I can remember. It seems to be when the engine rpm's drop while still in a higher gear, before it down shifts. I went for a ride and the sound is there all the time while driving, but not at an idle.

Oil looks good for 2000 miles, it is relatively clean, dark brown and not black. I used castrol gtx 5/30.

Hmm....

Do you have an 4EAT or 5MT? I'm also assuming no CEL's?

Usually putting a cone filter on will increase the intake noise but that doesn't seem to quite match your description. Kinda dumb, your heat shield isn't rattling is it?

A cheap probe can be made out of a long screwdriver. Stick the round end in your ear and put the small end on what you want to probe, you can extend it with a piece of rod if need be. Just be careful, my mom told me to never put anything in my ear smaller than my elbow... :).