Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Repainting stock luggage rack on 93' leg

My stock luggage rack on the H2 is all scrapped up.....the marks left are white........now i know there's a lot of trim paint out there ,but i want a good flat black that won't peel ect

anybody have any good advise on the type of rattle can paint i should use..:confused:? spark

My luggage rack has some flaking on it too I think. I used some Rustoleum Satin Black on some outdoor galvanized steel a few years ago and it still looks pretty good. Maybe that would work good on luggage rack. I don't remember if I used a primer, but I cleaned everything with acetone and mineral spirits good first. The satin is very subtle; it's definitely not shiny, but it is a hint more stateful than the flat black.

Not a painting expert but it seems from the kinds of jobs like this I've tried a lot depends on what kind of results you're looking for and how much time you want to spend on it. Maybe sand the whole thing over with fine grit sandpaper (not sure about steel wool; would it make like scratchy marks?), clean with mineral spirits, maybe use a tack rag, then spray on a good black primer and check for imperfections, and then spray a few coats of color following the instructions on the container for time between coats, etc.,

Not a painting expert but it seems from the kinds of jobs like this I've tried a lot depends on what kind of results you're looking for and how much time you want to spend on it. Maybe sand the whole thing over with fine grit sandpaper (not sure about steel wool; would it make like scratchy marks?), clean with mineral spirits, maybe use a tack rag, then spray on a good black primer and check for imperfections, and then spray a few coats of color following the instructions on the container for time between coats, etc.,
yea the steel wool is a crazy idea...i think the warm weather has fried my brain ...........

prob a 400 grit wet sand paper might do also......main thing is to get the wax and build up off the rails before painting.......spark:cool:

I think a good wash with TSP and then prime and paint. If it fails in 2-3 years, you can try a different technique but... nothing is forever.

yea the steel wool is a crazy idea...i think the warm weather has fried my brain ...........

prob a 400 grit wet sand paper might do also......main thing is to get the wax and build up off the rails before painting.......spark:cool: