Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 XT wiper help

My 86 XT had the wiper motor go out. I picked up a new motor, removed the whole asby from the car and replaced the motor. Now I cant get the wiper to work correctly without the arm that connects the motor to the sleve assy hitting the body or jambing when it tries to leave the parked position.

Is there some trick to replace this thing? I just ordered a new sleeve assy and connecting arm from Subaru but have to wait awhile for them to ship from Japan.

Any ideas?

I just took off my xt wiper transmission this weekend to clean it out and added new grease - it was a little tricky to reattach. I took off the wiper arm and popped the motor arm from the bottom of the wiper transmission, then I cycled the wiper. The parked position has the 12 mm nut that holds the wiper arm on the passenger side. It is a little bit of a pain to reattach the motor arm to the bottom of the transmission - I took off my hood for better access. Hope this helps.

Yeah I cycled the motor with the arm off already and then turned the switch off. The motor parked. I had the wiper arm off the windshield and just hooked the trans back up to the motor arm with the wiper nut on the pass side of the windshield. When I turn the wiper back on the arm from the motor swings around tofar it looks like and jams against the body or pushed the arm past center and then it locks against the mounting bracket on the sleeve.

I have a new sleeve on order and a new arm on order. I replaced the motor yesterday. What started this whole mess was the wiper would park in different spots on the windshield all over the place. One thing I did notice is there are little plastic tips inside the motor arm on each end joint and both of mine are broke off. Not sure if thats my issues or not. I looked at another arm but they are broke too. I was going to try another transmission but the 2 spares I have are LH and mine is a RH one. I didnt know that only the 85's were left hand. Oh well.

So I'm still stumped on this. :-\

Suggestion: Change your title to indicate that you need help with XT wiper motor. These are different from other Subaru mechanisms, and you need specific help. Grossgary had a "wanted" thread for XT wiper recently, and the people who chimed in are the wants you want to attract to your problem.

my $.02...

Suggestion: Change your title to indicate that you need help with XT wiper motor. These are different from other Subaru mechanisms, and you need specific help. Grossgary had a "wanted" thread for XT wiper recently, and the people who chimed in are the wants you want to attract to your problem.

my $.02...

+1

I'll change it. When I saw the title, I thought you meant OLD school subaru. ;)

i'm not sure i understand your problem. but then again i wouldn't know how to fix it either. i'm not well versed on these things. although i have removed and replaced a few, but haven't had any problems to make me learn exactly how they work. all of mine park and operate fine.

could you install a complete different assembly from another vehicle? everything from the motor to the arm and everything in between? i've swapped a few and other than getting them off never had any problem getting them to work.

Well I tried that but the 2 extra ones I have came off 85 XT's and they park the wiper on the Passenger Side. They are the LH transmissions.

I guess I will wait until all my new parts get here from Japan and then take it from there. I'm guessing I must have bent an arm or the sleeve has wore out enough to let the arm go over center. It all started by the wiper not parking and then it started banging when it would hit the sides of the windshield.

I will see what happens once everything is new again. Right now RainX is working ok or the SVX. :o

rain X is awesome.

when my transmissions were bad the wiper would slam against the windshield edges as well. WHAM WHAM WHAM every swipe it took. it went away when i repaired the transmissions. greased or replaced the bad parts. i worked on 3 different ones this summer so i can't recall exact details between them.