Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Curb weight of an '82 GL Hatch 4WD

I think if you were to run it over a scale, you'd find it weighs more than you were hoping.:-\

Truck Stops, recycling centers, or firewood/coal places may be able to weigh it for free!

If I remember right my Forester weighed in at 3200+ at the recycling center.:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I also would like to know.

My impreza has a metal stamped tag in the door well. I will check if my 82 has one as well I am guessing it does not due to lack of replies.

So whats the power of a 2.2? I can pick up a legacy wagon for 200.00 with a 2.2 ..very tempting. Will the new motor mounts bolt right up? Or does that need fab work?

you frequently need to cross reference a couple of ID plates on the vehicle.. but there is (almost?) always a GVWR or GAWR (gross vehicle/axle weight rating) stamped or printed onto the doorjamb VIN plate, and from that (its typically vehicle specific, my soob seems to be, id imagine yours too..) you have to find the max cargo/passenger load, sometimes located in the glovebox or wherever it tells you what size tires/pressure to run.... sometimes its right next to the GVWR.. but you subtract the total cargo load allowed from total GVWR (add the axles together) and boom, factory curb weight for your car. if you cant find the cargo max then ask on the thread here, someone probably knows.. i know its printed in my GL-10 owner manual, if you have that its in there. or go to a dump/recylce center.. we actually have a local dragstrip/street course race complex near me (moroso motorsports park, and the part brand came from the racetrack name not vice versa) and they have a scale for just that purpose.. no charge, but its a balance scale so you DO need to have half a brain cell still functioning....

I'm just trying to figure out my power/weight ratio with an ej22 motor in my hatch.

Figure it on dyno?Even distance traveled on timer can figure it. Hp and torque curve reflect for comparison. I asked this too a loong time ago when a heavy gm coupe I had took a bigger v8. The car was not only different, it made the power numbers for engine a totally different engine than where it began. A sube less weight and bigger engine would make the ej22 bigger. Even the tranny (if swapped) is going to synch different.Leave it a mystery sube.... :lol:

My 2wd ea82 however bunged up by oem stuff to keep it small was, became much more than my 4wd in all power range after letting the little bugger breathe. Still 90hp.