Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Also what's wierd is that when I am just sitting in neutral, it makes a whirring sound too, but when I push the clutch in, the whirring sound goes away...I don't know maybe that'd help diagnose the problem...

That may be your throwout bearing, part of the clutch assembly.

That may be your throwout bearing, part of the clutch assembly.

Umm....wait....I was under the impression that when I push in the clutch pedal and the car STOPS making the noise that it is NOT the throwout bearing...Am I mixed up? or is the above post mixed up?

BTW I don't think I have torque bind....car turns fine at low speeds and doesn't jerk.

Umm....wait....I was under the impression that when I push in the clutch pedal and the car STOPS making the noise that it is NOT the throwout bearing...Am I mixed up? or is the above post mixed up?

BTW I don't think I have torque bind....car turns fine at low speeds and doesn't jerk.

your mixed up. When the throwout bearing is under load it stops making noise. When it is not underload, since it is worn, the parts are rattling around causing the niose.

nipper

Lovely LOL- one more thing.....this car is starting to worry me...I am thinking it just sat for too long without being driven. I am just gonna drive it and replace parts as I go I guess:-\

You know what pisses me off? This one has 100k on it. I had the oportunity to buy a 96 wagon with 150k on it for the same price that is in perfect working order but the guy stood me up twice when I wanted to see it so I scratched the idea. I jumped all over this one because it was the same price with 50k less miles on the motor, a brand new clutch, and now look where it is getting me....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

Lovely LOL- one more thing.....this car is starting to worry me...I am thinking it just sat for too long without being driven. I am just gonna drive it and replace parts as I go I guess:-\

You know what pisses me off? This one has 100k on it. I had the oportunity to buy a 96 wagon with 150k on it for the same price that is in perfect working order but the guy stood me up twice when I wanted to see it so I scratched the idea. I jumped all over this one because it was the same price with 50k less miles on the motor, a brand new clutch, and now look where it is getting me....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

it can be that the TO bearing is dry, that will make noise too (from sitting). You can get a really good stero to deal with it :)

low mileage is not always a good thing

nipper

it can be that the TO bearing is dry, that will make noise too (from sitting). You can get a really good stero to deal with it :)

low mileage is not always a good thing

nipper

Nipper,

this sounds interesting....what/where is the TO bearing? All this new suby lingo....I thought I knew it all owning a wrx LOL

I drove the car to a teaching workshop in the South Bronx today and back without any problems except for the damn whirring noise.....Had it up to 75 on the highway no problem....I mean driving the car you can tell it sat for a while and that some of the bushings are a bit dried up and the rear struts are not in the best shape, but everything works (for now). I am going to have this noise looked at and I am going to replace the trans fluid as well, but if it's something that does not have to be fixed right away, I am going to leave it.

One thing I am going to do provided that the car doesnt need thousands worth of work, is when the struts need replacing, I am going to do the outback conversion because I like the lifted/offroad look on these cars, but I couldnt afford an outback.

I hope that I can do all this and the trans is okay as this car is my daily driver now and my wrx is my garage queen.

Hey guys,

I don't wanna be a pain and start a new thread so i will continue this one....

I got under the car tonight.....Shifter bushings are shot and that spring is missing LOL so I am gonna order the parts and fix it myself...I have the threads saved on fixing it so I will be all good.

The trans smells like burning tranny fluid and I have figured out that the trans fluid is actually seeping out slowly through various orfices LOL. So I am sure the car will need some big work done...

My question is : Is the final drive ratio on this car 4:11? Because if it is, I found a tranny with 40k on it in perfect condition for extremely cheap.

I am also doing some body work on it as well...just sanding and fixing small rust spots by the rear fenders and fixing some damage on the front driver side fender....should be fun:headbang:

Hey guys,

I don't wanna be a pain and start a new thread so i will continue this one....

I got under the car tonight.....Shifter bushings are shot and that spring is missing LOL so I am gonna order the parts and fix it myself...I have the threads saved on fixing it so I will be all good.

The trans smells like burning tranny fluid and I have figured out that the trans fluid is actually seeping out slowly through various orfices LOL. So I am sure the car will need some big work done...

My question is : Is the final drive ratio on this car 4:11? Because if it is, I found a tranny with 40k on it in perfect condition for extremely cheap.

I am also doing some body work on it as well...just sanding and fixing small rust spots by the rear fenders and fixing some damage on the front driver side fender....should be fun:headbang:

you know its not unusual to have the tranny resealed.

i'm not sure about the gear ratio. If you do swap trannies, do the clutch too.

nipper

Hey Nipper,

Car has a brand new clutch that was put in right before I bought it ironically enough. It does have a throwout bearing issue though because that was not replaced with the clutch.:-\

I am just going to take the car in and have the tranny dealt with...if it needs a new one, I am gonna pick one up for a couple hundred or so and have it thrown in. If not, then lucky me and I will have it resealed. Yippie:-\

I do LOVE this stupid wagon though. It's big, it's red, it's nothing special, smells like old upholstery even after cleaning the interior for four hours, and I LOVE it hahahahaha:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: