Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The biggest problem that I have found is that it is difficult to check level after adding fluid; I usually have to wait 30 minutes or more for the ATF to clear the dipstick tube.

For checking, just do the usual pull, wipe, insert and quickly remove. Hold the dipstick so that light glints off of the surface of the ATF on the stick. You are looking for dry stick and glinty, wet ATF.

What color is your fluid? I've had trouble checking ATF too. I can't get a good reading when hot, maybe just me, so I check in park a couple minutes after a cold start parked on a level surface after shifting through R-N-D-3-2-1 leaving it in each for a couple seconds.

Then I pull the stick out, wipe it clean, reinsert, then pull, then with headlights on, I hold it in front of the headlight to help see level. Turn the dipstick over too and look on both sides. I basically look for the point where the dipstick goes from being completely coated to where it might just have fluid on one edge. Note there are different cold and hot markings.

If you just added fluid, I wait a couple minutes, then wipe dipstick off twice and read on the third pull.