Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Don't think AWD is working on 98 wagon

On my 98 legacy wagon I notice when on a steep gravel driveway when I stop then try to go again only the fronts spin and car has a very hard time climbing from the full stop. Where do I start looking for the problem. I have no lights on the dash indicating FWD or anything and the fuse is not in the FWD fuse holder. Thanks for any help.

Twodawgs

Check your tranny fluid for color and odor. When you get this condition, there isnt much you cna do about it. This is the opposite of torque bind. no AWD at low to moderate speeds. Put the car in low and try it again. Low forces the car into full 50/50 split. This will just tell you what condition the clutches are in and how far gone they are. The bad news (why am i the mailman on this stuff) is that your clutches in the AWD are slipping, or if your lucky the non electrical valave in the tranny is stuck. If you get forced AWD

then it may be worth trying a fluid flush, if not, your headed to the shop.

nipper

I have the fuse in my 97 Legacy wagon it has over 320,000 miles on it and it got torqe bind a few months back and it does the same thing as you say yours is doing, so I would say you probably just have front wheel drive for some reason.

On my 98 legacy wagon I notice when on a steep gravel driveway when I stop then try to go again only the fronts spin and car has a very hard time climbing from the full stop. Where do I start looking for the problem. I have no lights on the dash indicating FWD or anything and the fuse is not in the FWD fuse holder. Thanks for any help.

Twodawgs

• 2 months later...

It looks like my awd clutches are slipping unless it is the non electrical valve is stuck. Is this a big job and are any specalty tools required? Or is this more a transmision shop job. I have replaced clutches in standard transmissions, but never have gone in a auto trans.