Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for help. 99 Legacy wagon, 5spd. Since about a year ago right turn signal started flashing faster (quite a bit faster) than the left. The left flashes normally. All exterior lights are working. Among interior lights there a couple of questions: low fuel light on the dashboard does not seem to work. Is it supposed to come on when all the warning lights come on? Another thing is the hazzard switch button. Is it supposed to be lighted? In any event, can these auxillary lights affect turn signal cadence? Please advice. My state inspection was failed because of that. One last thing, the radio lighting dims slightly in unison when the high cadence right turn signal is flashing.

Any help in troubleshooting this is appreciated.

Alex

The rate of flash can vary with the amount of current the lamps draw. Depending on the type of flasher, a fast rate could indicate that a turn signal lamp is out; it could be a front or rear one on the side where the rate is incorrect. With the older bimetallic flashers, the rate would increase if the load did. It's possible that an incorrect lamp was installed at some time, which might be drawing more or less current than the correct lamp would.

I know you said that "All exterior lights are working", but I'd start by verifying that both front and rear turn signal lamps are operating. Look for a difference in brilliance between the two sides (you could turn on the hazard flasher to make it easier to compare); it could be a clue that either an incorrect lamp was used, or that there may be a partial short.

By the way, just because a lamp has the correct type number on it isn't a guarantee that it will work correctly. I've found recently that some replacement lamps are being made very poorly, and don't really meet the specs for current or expected life. It's sometimes worth trying another lamp from a different manufacturer.

Several cars back my wife's Lexus had the same flasher problem. It turned out that there was a poor contact at the bulb socket, causing a resistance and overflashing the lights on that side of the car. The system was designed to draw acertain amount of current, and if it didn't the system would increase the flasher rate. There was no corrosion. The solution was to stretch the spring contact inside the socket, in order to make a stronger contact with the bottom of the bulb. For the time we had the car, it was a biyearly ritual to fix that left front turn signal bulb socket. As for your low fuel light, I would wonder if its bulb is burned out, an easy fix if you can get your hand up behind the dash to twist out the tiny bulb socket. Otherwise, you'll have to pull the front of the instrument panel off to get at its back to check it and change it. As for the hazard light switch not being illuminated, its internal bulb is obviously burned out. Remove the switch, take it apart, and you'll find a very tiny bulb with 2 pigtails. Go to Radio Shack, where they sell 2 packs of the same bulb with 2 inch long pigtails for around 3 bucks. Swap out the old for the new, cut off the extra pigtail length and you're in business again. BTW, that bulb will most likely be the same one for your low fuel light. As for your other dimming lights, you may well have something else in your system feeding back and causing problems, then again it may right its self with the above fixes. Good Luck!

The low fuel light is not part of the "bulb test" that occurs at engine start. In fact, for 5 years i did not know I had a low fuel light because I didn't have an owners manual, and I never ran the tank low enough to trigger it. If you want to test it, wait till your gas gauge goes to empty, and have a small spare tank of gas in your trunk. Drive around till the light comes on or you run out of gas..

On my '99 OB, the hazard switch button does light, but only when other dash lights are on. Even though the hazard flasher itself works without the ignition key, depressing the switch button when other lights are off doesn't light the button.

The glove box light operation seems to be similar, and is one of my pet (minor) peeves. Having to turn on the ignition switch and exterior lights just to get the glove box lit seems a bit strange, although I suppose by wiring it that way a defective or misadjusted box switch can't cause the battery to be drained when the car is parked.

Guys, thanks a lot. The simplest solution turned out to be the correct one. I tried switching the bulbs in rear turn signals - no dice. Tried the front - bingo! The fast flashing followed the bulb. A quick trip to Pep Boys and a pair of new Sylvania bulbs later - the problem was solved.

ultimatesubaru.org comes through again. The amount of knowledge and experience is enormous. You guys are great!

Alex

Guys, thanks a lot. The simplest solution turned out to be the correct one. I tried switching the bulbs in rear turn signals - no dice. Tried the front - bingo! The fast flashing followed the bulb. A quick trip to Pep Boys and a pair of new Sylvania bulbs later - the problem was solved.

You're welcome, I'm glad you got it resolved. Do keep in mind my mention of short life on some lamps; if the rapid flashing begins again in six months or so (I'm speaking from experience), check for a lamp out, and try another brand.