Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"new" Legacy import to UK teething problems

Hello everyone, glad to find this site. I am new to it, so forgive me if I get it wrong. I was owner of a 1.8 dl estate, until a foreign man hit me head on, on my side of the road OUCH!!!!! for 8 weeks.!

I have now had a Japanese import arrive in Scotland, its TS-R 1995 Legacy. Only 38,000 kilometers on the clock, and sems to be in real good condition, almost as new. The only problem, apart from makin it legal for britain, is that the Radio/ cassette/cd unit makes no sounds. It all light up etc.

If the battery had been disconnected , for shipping, would that disable the unit in anyway? does it need recoded? the unit is A GX-77, with kenwood name on the Tape deck.

I look forward to takin part in this forum, as I have years of experience of these wonderful workhorse cars.

I'm not certain I'm correct, but if it were my car with the same symptoms, I'd pull the radio unit out of the dash far enough to check that the wiring connectors were properly pushed together and seated. Most head units use 2 plastic wiring harness connectors, one for the radio power, ground, display lighting and power antenna feed, the other for all of the connections to the various speakers. A wild guess would suggest that this connector isn't properly connected. If that isn't the problem, it is possible that the head unit is toast and you'll need to buy another one.

• 2 years later...
Hi guys,

On a similar note, I have just brought a 95 Legacy 250T back form NZ where I bought it as a Ja p import. So it doesn't have a rear fog light. I've heard that the loom is already in place for one? Do you know where it should go or what the connections are?

Sorry Chris, for a bit of a delay here.

Just wired up my fog light today for the MOT test.

External silly little thing dangles from the bottom of the back bumper, but on to an already made screwfixing. Earthed to a bolt inside the boot, via holes already there. 12 volt supply had to be run from dashboard, with switch, which I had wired from a spare fuse (5amp), in the footwell area.

This is only meant to work if your headlights are on.

I AM NOT SURE if this is corrrect ?

The wiring just gets routed under the plastic trims around the inside of the car. easy to do, but takes time. the loom for the other things is already there. There are other ways to do this, using power feed from your rear lights instead, which ,in retrospect might have been simpler. Still needs wired to switch on the dash though. hope you get it done properly.

cheers john