Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Definately put the $1850 in a savings account instead. I can't imagine $1850 worth of stuff going wrong in years 4-6 (which would be required just to break even, neglecting interest).

Most add-on sales are designed to improve the seller's profitability, and extended warranties are no exception. I'd bet it costs them $700 to issue that warranty.

I am buying a Baja tomorrow and wondered if anyone had any opinions on the gold warranty. Is it worth it, and how much you can negotiate it down. I was offered a 6 year 80,000 mile warranty for $1850. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I bought it on my last(new) car; The few things that that did fail, were not covered by this form of insurance. Personaly I wouldn't do it again, unless I had teanage boys driving it or did alot hard driving.

John

When I bought my Outback, the dealer offered gold plus plan warranty for 7 years, 80000 miles for $3000. Anyways, I bought it knowing I could refund it in 30 days. I searched these boards, and found that you can buy the same plan from other dealers within the US at a much cheaper price. I went back to the dealer and told him I was going to cancel. Immediately he said he could drop the price to $1500. Can you believe that? Anyways, I still declined the warranty and now have a 10 year 100,000 mile gold plus plan that I purchased for $1350. I've already used the gold warranty on some small things like nail in the tire removal. The factory warranty covered an issue I had with my heated seat not working, and a rear speaker that was out. I am finally about to pass the original 36,000 mile factory warranty, so am glad I have some additional coverage.

I bought it on my last(new) car; The few things that that did fail, were not covered by this form of insurance. Personaly I wouldn't do it again, unless I had teanage boys driving it or did alot hard driving.

John

I agree with this... the first subaru we bought we got an extended warrenty and we filed 2 claims (maybe $500 at best), which certainly didn't add up anywhere close to the $1000 premium we paid upfront.

I can't remember exactly which warranty I picked up on my outback wagon (2001), BUT - it certainly has come in handy, it's come in to play for me at least 3 times. It was applied to a head gasket problem we had at about 60k maybe 2-3 years ago and just his morning it's covering a new alternator at 96k. Was it work the $1500-$1700 I paid? I doubt that, but you should definitely go with some kind of warranty.

• 1 month later...

I agree with purchasing an extended warranty. My cars has been having an electrical issue the entire time it was within the warranty period. Now that I recently went beyond 36K, the dealer and Subaru of America refuse to treat the same recurring problem as a warranty item.

Try and negotiate a better price, and purchase the extended warranty, because one never knows when his or her car will be a LEMON!

I am buying a Baja tomorrow and wondered if anyone had any opinions on the gold warranty. Is it worth it, and how much you can negotiate it down. I was offered a 6 year 80,000 mile warranty for $1850. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I will address this issue from another prospective as no one else has in this thread. These extended service contracts (they are not extended warranties as there is no such animal) are a good investment in most cases, particularly the longer terms. i. e. 100,000 miles or 6 or 7 years. JUST MAKE SURE THEY ARE GENUINE AND ISSUED BY THE FACTORY. Subaru of America, GM, ect. There are dozens of independant outfits that offer them both through dealers and on the internet and are mostly rip-off deals. They are mostly shadow corporations with little or no regulation or financial reserves to pay claims as well having no reason to satisfy you. The manufacturers do have a reason to keep you satisfied, especially during the latter days of your vehicle life. Make sense? And yes the prices are negotiable, chck with other dealers just as you do when buying a vehicle.

I paid $1250 for the 72 month 80,000 mile gold package on my '05 legacy GT back in january. I got it because it's the first year for the 5spd automatic with the sport shift, and a new tranny would cost WAY more than that if it has problems. Anyway, I think you shouldn't try to get it for a lower price if you decide to get it.

Keith