Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Whirring" noise under the hood?

As of last week I'm hearing a sort of 'whiring' noise from the engine. The pitch changes with speed. Sounds kinda like a tiny 707 is warming up for take off under there.

I read an old thread about noise from the power steering pump. Could this be it?

And oh, BTW, last week I changed the drive belt :-\ . I replaced the old frayed one with a "Gator" belt that has the diagonal ridges. Ya think it's the new belt? The package for the Gator belt says it's supposed to be quieter. :confused:

Does it do it while parked? What about when the A/C on? A/C off? Get worse when turning the steering wheel? If it was the power steering, it probably would. It doesn't sound like the sound the ps pump make when the wheels are turned all the way in one direction, does it?

I've seen the a/c compressor make what I'd call a whirring sound. Didn't do it when the a/c was off.

BTW...what car and how many miles?

yes what he said how many miles. COUld be an overtightened belt, a dying altenator. Remove the belt and see if it goes away.

nipper

111K miles, 96 GT (duh). I thought I may have installed the belt too tight, so I loosened it and it makes the same noise.

111K miles, 96 GT (duh). I thought I may have installed the belt too tight, so I loosened it and it makes the same noise.

damage may be done.

remove the belt makes sure it goes away.

Take a can of wd 40 and spray the alt shaft, wee if it cheanges pitch. Same for the PS and AC compressor and the belt tensioner. Could be the (drive) belt tensioner going bad.

nipper

Dumb question: I can only get the noise to happen when the car is driving. Is it OK to drive with the drive belt off? I assume the only impact would be that it would be hard to steer.

Nipper: are you saying that the over-tightened belt may have already fried the A/C compressor or the tensioner?

Dumb question: I can only get the noise to happen when the car is driving. Is it OK to drive with the drive belt off? I assume the only impact would be that it would be hard to steer.

Nipper: are you saying that the over-tightened belt may have already fried the A/C compressor or the tensioner?

yes you can drive the car with the belt off, but not for long. . The AC compressor bearing is fairly tough, but not so much on the p/s, and the alt is even more prone to failure for an over tightened belt.

nipper