Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I went off and did it again! Another Subaru!!

Hey everyone, it has been a long, difficult stay here on this rock known as Okinawa. For the last year, I have watched as the locals have rolled around in Subarus, but couldn't find any at the local car lots. I thought all hope was lost until suddenly..................TADA!!!! I found a '95 Subaru Impreza WRX wagon! It is in very good condition and it seems to have low miles, but I'm not sure if the odometer has turned over or not(odometer shows 52,237 kms). The engine purrs quite well, and everything on it is still in stock trim(no signs of aftermarket parts installed or removed). The only thing that I'm not too thrilled about is that it has an automatic transmission. I already have plans to change the tranny fluid to Royal Purple MAX ATF and also the engine oil to Royal Purple as well. This car wasn't actually my first choice, but the '97 Subaru Legacy(twin turbo) was already sold by the time I sold my other car and began perusing the lot. But I guess that is just the way the ball bounces sometimes.:rolleyes: Now I just have to find out if I can get it back to the States. If I can't, I know a little '88 Subaru GL-10 that will be in for a good bump up in power and reliability.:D I plan to do a couple upgrades and I promise to keep everyone posted.

Okinawa, brings back memories I was there in 1972 with M.A.B.S. 36 They do drive those cars fast on those small roads. I still remember how to say hurry please to the cab driver in Japanse, but that was all I ever learned and it was never needed as they always drove plenty fast anyway. Are you in the Military?

Hey everyone, it has been a long, difficult stay here on this rock known as Okinawa. For the last year, I have watched as the locals have rolled around in Subarus, but couldn't find any at the local car lots. I thought all hope was lost until suddenly..................TADA!!!! I found a '95 Subaru Impreza WRX wagon! It is in very good condition and it seems to have low miles, but I'm not sure if the odometer has turned over or not(odometer shows 52,237 kms). The engine purrs quite well, and everything on it is still in stock trim(no signs of aftermarket parts installed or removed). The only thing that I'm not too thrilled about is that it has an automatic transmission. I already have plans to change the tranny fluid to Royal Purple MAX ATF and also the engine oil to Royal Purple as well. This car wasn't actually my first choice, but the '97 Subaru Legacy(twin turbo) was already sold by the time I sold my other car and began perusing the lot. But I guess that is just the way the ball bounces sometimes.:rolleyes: Now I just have to find out if I can get it back to the States. If I can't, I know a little '88 Subaru GL-10 that will be in for a good bump up in power and reliability.:D I plan to do a couple upgrades and I promise to keep everyone posted.

Okinawa, brings back memories I was there in 1972 with M.A.B.S. 36 They do drive those cars fast on those small roads. I still remember how to say hurry please to the cab driver in Japanse, but that was all I ever learned and it was never needed as they always drove plenty fast anyway. Are you in the Military?

Those crazy cab drivers. Let me tell you, they have the right of way no matter where or how they are driving. That has got to be a fun job!:lol:

Anyway, no, I'm not in the military. Well at least not yet as I'm still weighing the pros and cons. My wife is though(Air Force). It's an okay place to be stationed, but I miss the open roads of the United States.

If you bought it locally I assume it's RHD? That would be wicked to bring over to the US, although I'm not sure how much fun it would be to drive in traffic!

I'm a little surprised that it's an auto. I thought it was only in the US and Canada that we had a fetish for autos, that the rest of the world was content to shift their own gears. When I was stationed in Hungary, the local cops took a look at one of our HMMWVs and were mystified about how to drive it because none of them had ever driven a car with an automatic tranny!

I bet she is at Kadina, I know that is not spelled right but I am sure you know where Iam taking about. I use to go there to play chess at their chess club. I was not up on the cars they drove I just remember they were small or they more Subaru's or Toyoto's? Also I remember that they seemed to work on their own cars more then people here in the U.S. does.

Those crazy cab drivers. Let me tell you, they have the right of way no matter where or how they are driving. That has got to be a fun job!:lol:

Anyway, no, I'm not in the military. Well at least not yet as I'm still weighing the pros and cons. My wife is though(Air Force). It's an okay place to be stationed, but I miss the open roads of the United States.

The cars were L.H.D. when I was there but it was still under U.S. control then it has now been turned back to Japan so they may drive on the right now. Actually they are a lot of right hand drive Subaru's here in the U.S. I have two a 98 Legacy wagon and a 97 Legacy wagon between the two they have over 1/2 million miles on them.

If you bought it locally I assume it's RHD? That would be wicked to bring over to the US, although I'm not sure how much fun it would be to drive in traffic!

I'm a little surprised that it's an auto. I thought it was only in the US and Canada that we had a fetish for autos, that the rest of the world was content to shift their own gears. When I was stationed in Hungary, the local cops took a look at one of our HMMWVs and were mystified about how to drive it because none of them had ever driven a car with an automatic tranny!

Yeah, it is RHD. Pretty fun car, even with the automatic tranny. Autos are very common these days, mainly because there are stop lights every 40 yards or so.

The cars were L.H.D. when I was there but it was still under U.S. control then it has now been turned back to Japan so they may drive on the right now. Actually they are a lot of right hand drive Subaru's here in the U.S. I have two a 98 Legacy wagon and a 97 Legacy wagon between the two they have over 1/2 million miles on them.

They have since turned it to RHD. I can't remember what year the transition happened, but it is back to RHD again. And incidentally, we are stationed at Kadena Air Base(KAB). Believe it or not, there are more Toyotas and Nissans running around than Subarus. As a matter of fact, I am selling my 1996 Toyota Starlet Glanza V since acquiring the WRX. It was a small, but peppy little car. The thing weighs next to nothing and comes with a 1.3L turbocharged and intercooled(TMIC) engine. I did all sorts of mods to that thing(TRD fully adjustable suspension, Greddy FMIC, Field SFC, Boost controller, etc.). It was fun, but I needed to get back to my roots. Besides, I am a firm believer in controlling the Toyota and Nissan population. Someone needs to spay or neuter them every once in awhile!:D

Hey Nipper, Thank You for these sites. I appreciate it. We are going to try to hang on to this one long enough for the government to ship it back for free, since it isn't on the "No Ship" list.