Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

I am in the process of purchasing my 5th subaru in the last six years, I have had a FWD 92 Legacy, a 93 Loyale Wagon, a 93 Legacy turbo ( auto ) and currently drive a 98 Outback Limited.

I am however upset that my outback doesn't satisfy me as much as my 93 legacy turbo and have located a 92 Legacy turbo ( also auto ) but would like to convert it to a 5 speed.

What parts and lavbour would be required to convert such for my edification?

The car I am looking at is relatively nice (no rust ) with 232K kilometers ( 160K miles ) and sold by a subaru dealer however before finalising I would like to know what I am getting myslef into.

Thanks!

Hi,

I am in the process of purchasing my 5th subaru in the last six years, I have had a FWD 92 Legacy, a 93 Loyale Wagon, a 93 Legacy turbo ( auto ) and currently drive a 98 Outback Limited.

I am however upset that my outback doesn't satisfy me as much as my 93 legacy turbo and have located a 92 Legacy turbo ( also auto ) but would like to convert it to a 5 speed.

What parts and lavbour would be required to convert such for my edification?

The car I am looking at is relatively nice (no rust ) with 232K kilometers ( 160K miles ) and sold by a subaru dealer however before finalising I would like to know what I am getting myslef into.

Thanks!

The Turbo Legacy use a hydraulic clutch setup, and it is a pull type clutch, these two mach the conversion very hard to find original parts for it. I do know that people who have rallied these cars have installed WRX trannies in them, but there are some mods that need to be made. You will probably have a better chance of finding a WRX tranny then one from a Turbo Legacy, but you will possibly need to also chance the rear diff for a ratio that matches that tranny. The clutch pedal assy may be hard to get ahold of also, but I think that the Impreza RS' had hydraulic clutches and those peday assemblies should work.