Ultimate Subaru Message Board

please help with vacuum line ea81

just havin problem with a certain line. ive got to have 1 in the wrong spot cause when i hook it up it misses. so i took some pics of the line and where im hooking it up that makes it miss fire "theyre circled ", then i have overview shots of what maybe some one can identify whats hooked up wrong. need more pics just ask. :-\

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?ppuser=18363&cat=500

cant figure out how to post big pictures

ok so im lookin under the hood at the diagram and its all hooked up like it should be but still if i hook that hose up it misses bad. it goes to the intake manifold then to the botton tee on the drivers side. could something be plugged? could i just plug up some vacuum line to eliminate the problem totally? hopefuly to fix. anyways some ideas would be good. thanks

Unfortunately you are pretty much on your own this round. You have a Feedback Hitachi carb. There aren't many people that know anything about those, and although I have some experience with them I couldn't tell you what that is or why it's causeing a miss unless I was standing there to look at it. You'll have to trace the lines down and read up on the feedback system to find out what that is, and how it works. I highly sugest picking up an FSM because..... well the other manuals don't even attempt to cover the system. It's uncommon enough, and complex enough that it's only delt with in the FSM. Even then it's a real nightmare.

To avoid hair-loss and premature aging, I sugest a Weber, or even better SPFI in the near future.

GD

What years did that carb come on?

If someone has a Hitachi as well maybe they would snal a few pics and post to compare where the lines are installed. Also the line that is giving you problems what does it plug into on the other end?

I am not sure the carbon mine but it looks the same. Does anyone have apic of the other carb Subaru ran?

thanks GD for a good honest answer. because im stuck and its not running really any more even though it ran awesome all the way home 400 more miles. now nothing. im gonna just try different things not sure what but something lol :clap:

I am not sure the carb on mine but it looks the same. Does anyone have apic of the other carb Subaru ran?

There were two *brands* of carbs used on the EA81. Hitachi, and Carter/Weber (no - it's not the cool weber, it's a single barrel with a lot of problems). Each of those had two different setups - one setup for the electronic feedback (for California), and one setup for the non-feedback without the computer. The carbs are jetted differently to accomidate computer control, and if you remove the computer system, they will run extremely rich.

You can tell the difference in the two types by the ECU under the dash, and the duty solenoids on the manifold. In his pictures I can see one of the duty solenoids, so I know what he's got. Just looking at the engine bay will not immediately ID the type as they all use the same kidney bean air cleaner, and the Hitachi's look very similar except for the extra hoses, duty solenoids, two-prong CTS, and the EGO in the y-pipe.

GD

There were two *brands* of carbs used on the EA81. Hitachi, and Carter/Weber (no - it's not the cool weber, it's a single barrel with a lot of problems). Each of those had two different setups - one setup for the electronic feedback (for California), and one setup for the non-feedback without the computer. The carbs are jetted differently to accomidate computer control, and if you remove the computer system, they will run extremely rich.

You can tell the difference in the two types by the ECU under the dash, and the duty solenoids on the manifold. In his pictures I can see one of the duty solenoids, so I know what he's got. Just looking at the engine bay will not immediately ID the type as they all use the same kidney bean air cleaner, and the Hitachi's look very similar except for the extra hoses, duty solenoids, two-prong CTS, and the EGO in the y-pipe.

GD

its a hitachi. that valve i think its talking about is the canister? but not really sure. i dont know really where to start. should i just start pluging things off?