Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Windshield replacement

1988 wagon. I need to get the windshield replaced on my wagon. I know alot of you guys like to do this yourselves, I'm not up for it. I have gotten a quote from a local mobile glassman. price as follows: 82.00 bucks for the molding (chrome) and 150 for the new windshield installed. What do ya all think about the price?

Just try and ignore the fact that my car is only worth 950 bucks :)

great price. The risk of doing it yourself is gone away with someone else :)

I swapped one myself with the "piano wire" seal cutter and kicked out old windshield which was as stubborn as the 18 year old donor car's. If car was any bigger, I wouldn't have been able to span my arms across for a few important maneuvres. I did get to see underneath the windshield had rust where the seal was never sealed :eek: on the newer sube recieving it and even worse on the older one. and cleaned it up to put the sealer back on and molding myself, with my own choice of brand of sealant.I don't know as the people replacing them will be painting and sanding the little things assuming "the new windshield will cover it". It takes a flaw for a window to break via a small hit (like mine did).

$150 for glass and install sounds reasonable. Are they saying that the chrome trim HAS to be replaced, or are they just warning you that it may need to be and this is what it will cost? (The places that I have talked to have warned me about the trim.)

Whoops I had intended to ask the forum if it is a must to replace the trim. Is it? The guy I talked to never said that I have to replace the trim, I asked him to see if it could be found and how much it would cost. Thanks for the info guys (and or gals). I will be getting the windshield replaced next week.

Whoops I had intended to ask the forum if it is a must to replace the trim. Is it? The guy I talked to never said that I have to replace the trim, I asked him to see if it could be found and how much it would cost. Thanks for the info guys (and or gals). I will be getting the windshield replaced next week.

Where in washington did you get your quote from?

It can be taken out slowly and kept good. The trim on my loyale is advertantly switched with a 19 year old car and looks like hell but still pliable. They must just hack it out and count on new stuff. I would pay that for the time it lasts, unless you are unlucky to get a cheap aftermarket trim replacement.

I have had 3 replaced. $150.00 - $300.00 each (spread over a few years)

Each time we re-used the trim.

I tried to save a good windshield once, even bought the tool they use to remove the old one. After an hour of real struggle (those guys must have strong arms - it looked real easy for them) cutting the seal, the glass cracked.

Maybe piano wire is thin enough to do it w/o cracking?

Maybe piano wire is thin enough to do it w/o cracking?

It works great. The tougher the old seal the hotter the wire got as it slows to the high density, and winning it over. My brother changed windshields for a summer, made it look easy. No real strength is needed, just patience. The wire I am referring to is really for windshields, I forgot the name of it, has burrs on it. after it is out, hacking with sharp blade, slowly and a sharp chisel in spots not rusted does well. Cleaning off windshield, if it is used and has old stuff, I used mini-visegrips clamped to a razor blade slowly, and changed it often to keep sharp. I left some sections with fine layer of old, as the tar bead is quite conforming.