Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This is the first time I will be doing a brake pad chage on my 1996 Subaru legacy lsi. Does anyone know what the best pads to put on it?? And what the best place to buy them online.

I would recommend getting ceramic pads. Napa's Ceramix pads are excellent. I have them on my 2004 Outback and they work great!

I like Axxis pads. They do the job very well and I haven't had any problems with them. The downside is that they do dust quite a bit. I've tried the Ultimates and the XBG and have no complains so far.

This is the first time I will be doing a brake pad chage on my 1996 Subaru legacy lsi. Does anyone know what the best pads to put on it?? And what the best place to buy them online.

The semi metallic pad that Auto Zone sells is good. Better than the O.E.M. from Subaru in my opinion.

I go through about two sets of semi metallics pads a year and I have had some that squeal, but I have also had other pads that would squeal. If calipers are replaced and everything is cleaned and calipers pins greased they are ussually really good.

I'll give the "lame" answer... I like OEM stock brake pads. I once got semi-metallics and I hated them because of the squeal. I've tried ceramic pads and honestly, I don't notice the difference.

No Way....I get 70,000 miles out of a set of front OEM pads.

I go through about two sets of semi metallics pads a year and I have had some that squeal, but I have also had other pads that would squeal. If calipers are replaced and everything is cleaned and calipers pins greased they are ussually really good.

Yes, maybe three sets a year, Iam a rural mail carrier carrying a full car load and stoping around 600 times a day, with a lot of these stops from 50 miles an hour. I have so many wore out rotors stacked by my shop you would think it is a brake shop.

No Way....I get 70,000 miles out of a set of front OEM pads.

I am looking 4 good braking w/ out eating my rotors.

EBC has supposedly changed their pad material in the past due to some criticism about them eating rotors. You could give them a shot (EBC Green Stuff is supposed to be their most streetable application), but don't be surprised if you still eat your rotors.

MDW25gt and Danbob have both suggested Hawk pads, and I've heard many other favorable reviews on Hawk pads from non-Subaru people. That said, I have a set of front Hawk pads sitting here in my house that I plan on putting on my Legacy at some point... I just have to wait for the rear pads to come off backorder (been backordered since April was what my source told me :mad: )

I have the Subaru Challenge coming up, and if those rear Hawks don't come in in time, I'll likely just throw OEM pads on it, use my already shot rotors, and just abuse the hell out of them on the track.

I shouldn't be talking this confidently really. I have little experience other than being able to say that the el-cheapo pads from Autozone or the like do NOT offer anything worthy of being called brake "performance." I've seriously gotten on my brakes twice in only spirited driving (as opposed to racing) and already felt fade from them.

Once I get the Hawk pads on, I'll report back.

Have you tried the top of the line pads from Auto Zone or is this just what you belive. And I agree they do have a lot of stuff that is low quality. I have tried many brands of pads and I find these better than the O.E.M. pads that I was forced to use for nearly two years because of the design change from 96 Legacy to the 97 Legacy and they were no after market pads available. I have never tried the Hawk but if you will tell me where to get them I will give them a try and see how they hold up under the conditions I work under.

EBC has supposedly changed their pad material in the past due to some criticism about them eating rotors. You could give them a shot (EBC Green Stuff is supposed to be their most streetable application), but don't be surprised if you still eat your rotors.

MDW25gt and Danbob have both suggested Hawk pads, and I've heard many other favorable reviews on Hawk pads from non-Subaru people. That said, I have a set of front Hawk pads sitting here in my house that I plan on putting on my Legacy at some point... I just have to wait for the rear pads to come off backorder (been backordered since April was what my source told me :mad: )

I have the Subaru Challenge coming up, and if those rear Hawks don't come in in time, I'll likely just throw OEM pads on it, use my already shot rotors, and just abuse the hell out of them on the track.

I shouldn't be talking this confidently really. I have little experience other than being able to say that the el-cheapo pads from Autozone or the like do NOT offer anything worthy of being called brake "performance." I've seriously gotten on my brakes twice in only spirited driving (as opposed to racing) and already felt fade from them.

Once I get the Hawk pads on, I'll report back.

the oe ones from my dealer are almost 100$, seams high to me.

I figure that i could get some good aftermarket ones for 60-70 and I would be happy.

Just wondering if I should go with ceramic pads, or stay with semi-metalic.

Plus it looks like I have a 1996 legacy and there are two different brake pad styles for that year.

I think the top of the line pads that I use from Auto Zone are the same as the Bendix. Bendix was the first aftermarket pad I was able to find for my Subaru after the desighn change in late 96. Now at Auto Zone I pay around 24.00 dollars for them if I remember right. When I was buying this pad from Bendix it was around 40.00 dollars.

the oe ones from my dealer are almost 100$, seams high to me.

I figure that i could get some good aftermarket ones for 60-70 and I would be happy.

Plus it looks like I have a 1996 legacy and there are two different brake pad styles for that year.

[...]I figure that i could get some good aftermarket ones for 60-70 and I would be happy.

I realize you already got the pads, but for future reference...

Online dealers sell OEM front pads for about $60-65 (for '96 Legacy depends if with 14" or 15" wheels), plus S/H.

Probably worth reading; draw your own conclusions:

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/FrictionFeb06EW.pdf

in a bout of laziness i had pepboys do the brake job..... big mistake. from day one they squealed every time i braked and gradually got louder until i got fed up and said "if you want it done right you gotta do it yourself", so i pulled a wheel off and surprise, NO SHIMS :mad: . so i went to dealer and paid $80 and did it myself and 5 months later..... NO NOISE:clap: . i mean completely silent!!!! $80 well spent.:)