Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I believe that I need to replace my brake vacuum booster. I have had some intermittent problems with the brakes during below freezing weather. The brakes will have a real hard pedal for a second and then everything will work ok. It could get a little interesting if you don’t expect it.

Checking the part houses they tell me that there are two kinds of boosters for a 98 Legacy Outback, a single or a dual diaphragm model. How do I tell witch one that I have? I really haven’t looked at it to see if I could tell the difference but I thought that I would ask the experts here first.

Thanks,

Jim

First test the unit, as the MC can give the same symptons.

Shut the car off.

Pump pedal 10 times

Put foot on brake.

Start car

brake pedal should go towards floor. if it doesnt the booster is bad.

You can call subaru and ask them.

nipper

I think there was a recall on the master cylinder for cold weather problems, although the description I can find says the pedal will go to the floor in cold weather. Might be worth looking into. You can register at my.subaru.com, which will tell you if the recall has been performed on your car (if you bought it used and don't know). If the recall hasn't been done on your car, well, free master cylinder and brake bleeding.

More info at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/RepositoryFiles.cfm?module=RECALLS&IfsDocId=99V040

Well, I just got through talking to the dealer. For some reason the previous 2 owners never had any of the recalls done to the car. It looks like there are around 7 or 8 that need to be done and the master cylinder is one of them. I guess that I'll get to drive my truck around for a while now.

Thanks for the help.

Jim

Well, I just got through talking to the dealer. For some reason the previous 2 owners never had any of the recalls done to the car. It looks like there are around 7 or 8 that need to be done and the master cylinder is one of them. I guess that I'll get to drive my truck around for a while now.

Thanks for the help.

Jim

look on the bright side, all the free work your getting done :)

nipper

I guess that this is a case of never trusting the previous owner. I can't believe that they didn't take the car into the dealer to get the recalls done. The service manager just shook his head and wondered out loud what else they didn't do. You would think that they were going to charge you a arm and a leg. I just wished that I had the time to get my new struts in before they replace the master cylinder. Then I wouldn't have to rebleed the brakes if I decide to route the brake lines through the struts like the factory ones are.

I guess that this is a case of never trusting the previous owner. I can't believe that they didn't take the car into the dealer to get the recalls done.
I certainly don't know what the circumstances are in this case, but sometimes people move, and forget to tell everyone (Subaru, for example :) ) of their new address. Maybe the dealer didn't register the ownership info correctly with Subaru and the owner never got any notices, etc.

The service manager just shook his head and wondered out loud what else they didn't do. You would think that they were going to charge you a arm and a leg.
The SM sounds like he's laying some groundwork. Hmmm, I can just hear it now, "Besides the 'free' recall items, your car needs about $3,000 in other work." Just in case they go there, I'd have them take care of the recalls, and then evaluate the quality of that work and the need for anything else before approving more.

This problem sounds similar to the one I reported in another thread. Look for my update to that thread on 9/9/2006 and you can backtrack it to the start and see if the problem is what you're experiencing. Unfortunately, I haven't figured how to attach a link to another thread when posting a reply. See if this link works. May have to cut and paste in into your browser 's url window.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=232522#post232522