Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radio Compatibility and Upgrade

as long as the radio you are buying is from a subaru that is newer than a 94 they are all cross compatable (ex. the new legacy because they are integrated)

i have a 99 legacy that i put an 03-04 baja radio into it. Plug and play!

You are talking about the integrated 6 disk with cassette right? If you are talking about "the add on" type then you need to make sure the reciever has the hookups in the back to run the external CD changer.

Wow, great info that I didn't know. I was looking on ebay and saw those cd/cassette/weatherband radios from 98-99 Legacy/Outback. They have the same main connector, but also a smaller rectangle connector for something(Weatherband?). These may not be compatible or at least completely functioning with other models that don't have this other connector. Any ideas? I wouldn't mind putting one of those in my 95 Legacy. Thanks

as long as the radio you are buying is from a subaru that is newer than a 94 they are all cross compatable (ex. the new legacy because they are integrated)

i have a 99 legacy that i put an 03-04 baja radio into it. Plug and play!

You are talking about the integrated 6 disk with cassette right? If you are talking about "the add on" type then you need to make sure the reciever has the hookups in the back to run the external CD changer.

On the rear of current Subaru Radio's there may be up to 3 separate plugs. The standard Subaru 14 pin rectangular connector. The other 2 are for additional components. A rectangular 8 pin is for a sub-woofer and/or steering wheel controls. And the 13 pin din connector for external device inputs. The radios all will work fine with just the 14 pin connector plugged.

Wow, great info that I didn't know. I was looking on ebay and saw those cd/cassette/weatherband radios from 98-99 Legacy/Outback. They have the same main connector, but also a smaller rectangle connector for something(Weatherband?). These may not be compatible or at least completely functioning with other models that don't have this other connector. Any ideas? I wouldn't mind putting one of those in my 95 Legacy. Thanks

Yeah they will work in the 95. If ya want I have an 02 radio in my basement that we can "test" if you want to see for yourself. (it isn't forsale though) ;)

Let me know if you want to stop by some evening.

Great, thanks, I may take you up on that. i need to get the car back on the road. Having some trans issues that I'm getting worked out, but that's explained in another post:rolleyes:

Yeah they will work in the 95. If ya want I have an 02 radio in my basement that we can "test" if you want to see for yourself. (it isn't forsale though) ;)

Let me know if you want to stop by some evening.