Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I took the advise I recieved here and bought a ATF analoge gauge. It is installed and tested...the highest temps so far on the mail route is 210 degrees although the weather here just got 20 degrees cooler, around 70 outside. On the mail route it rarely gets below 200 so i'm thinking it's time for a cooler, what do ya'll think I should get, I was thinking permacool car truck so it would be a little bigger?

yes it will, but not so much that the oil never warms up. There sint anything wrong with warm trannny fluid, its hot tranny fluid that is bad. Also hydraulic fluid isnt like water. It holds heat longer, takes longer to heat up, and longer to cool down. So it shouldnt be a big thing.

nipper

I run a Legacy wagon here in Tx. on a mail route, I think we get hotter here mine has been going ten years and still same transmission 322,000 miles without a added cooler. However the right hand drive Saturn does not hold up as well the valve body has been changed twice already and I think it is due to the heat. In fact the spin on filter is leaking now and it looks like it has cracked maybe from heat. Is your Subaru right hand drive? I see from your post it is not a Legacy.

I took the advise I recieved here and bought a ATF analoge gauge. It is installed and tested...the highest temps so far on the mail route is 210 degrees although the weather here just got 20 degrees cooler, around 70 outside. On the mail route it rarely gets below 200 so i'm thinking it's time for a cooler, what do ya'll think I should get, I was thinking permacool car truck so it would be a little bigger?

Nope wish it was, but it's a regular impreza sport, but I did modify the center console. I took it out and added some 2x4s to make it level, then I set gray towels over them for cushion. It's not the most comfortable but it works pretty good. My last car was a 93 legacy that died at 208,000 so this is my second subaru mail car. I'll miss the room the legacy had for packages when Christmas time returns.

tcspeer how often do you change your fliud ?

I used to change it about one a year but it is soon ready for another transmission so I dont give it to much attention right now. In fact I cant run it without the fuse in F.W.D. because of torque bind and it is really rough when I put it in reverse, and the transaxle seals are leaking bad also. I bought new seals for it but I'am not going to change them because it wont last much longer anyway. What happen to the 93 at 208,000? I had to get another used engine for mine at 288,000 miles.

Nope wish it was, but it's a regular impreza sport, but I did modify the center console. I took it out and added some 2x4s to make it level, then I set gray towels over them for cushion. It's not the most comfortable but it works pretty good. My last car was a 93 legacy that died at 208,000 so this is my second subaru mail car. I'll miss the room the legacy had for packages when Christmas time returns.

tcspeer how often do you change your fliud ?

93 legacy lost compression, but i drove it until it became unsafe, the used tranny was still fine just couldn't convince the better half to let me drop a used engine in it that I found. That car was hungry, it chewed up some front axles. I guess because one wheel was always on pavment and the other slipped in the mud and dirt causing the axles to spin and lock all the time. Oh yeah, I had to use that button on the shifter to get it out of park after a while, but it didn't seem to make a differece in the way it drove just another add on to the driving check list on older cars.

I know what you mean, I go through so many axles, front wheel bearing, ball joints, and brakes that everything comes apart with very little work it dont have time to set up rust.

93 legacy lost compression, but i drove it until it became unsafe, the used tranny was still fine just couldn't convince the better half to let me drop a used engine in it that I found. That car was hungry, it chewed up some front axles. I guess because one wheel was always on pavment and the other slipped in the mud and dirt causing the axles to spin and lock all the time. Oh yeah, I had to use that button on the stifter to get it out of park after a while, but it didn't seem to make a differece in the way it drove just another add on to the driving check list on older cars.