Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hey guys I'm about to do the EJ22 swap into my EA82 series car. Problem is the engine I have is out of a wrecked impreza sedan and the frame rail was smashed into the valve cover on the passenger side. After bending the frame outta the way, I noticed it knocked the insert out of the head for the middle valve cover bolt.

The engine is still intact and I'm figuring I will just swap the head on that side. Problem is car is a 95 2.2L ODB2 engine. My question is will a head off a 90-94 EJ22 work on the 95+ engines? From the last one I did head gaskets on, I think they are the same, but I just wanted to make sure before I tore down an engine to rebuild the 95.

Thanks in advance

I do know that the '93 head will not fit on '95. '95 has a roller cam set up and I was told by local subie guru's that '95 head is unique to that year. Also, the pipe off the back..(EGR?) isn't on the '93. Not alot of info but that's what I learned as I tried to swap a head off our junk '93 onto the '95.

EGR pipes are on the left (drivers side of the engine) an 95 and up EJ22 arent they? I'm replacing the right (passenger side) of the engine, so hopefully I wont have to worry about that.

I also have a EJ20 block with good heads on it. It isnt marked as a low compression block like the ej22t has on the coolant port. I'm kinda thinking of using a ej22 intake on the ej20 motor and running that with the 95 OBD2 system.

I'm gonna check them out tommorow and compare the heads