Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What I want: To be able to take output from my laptop (mp3's, mostly) and play it through my '97 OBW's speakers, while retaining the ability to listen to the weather band provided by the stock deck.

What I've got: Stock '97 OBW with stock speakers. An old Sony Xplod deck (CDX-CA650X) that convienently has a set of RCA's in. Old Dell laptop with a 1/8" stereo headphone jack.

My thoughts on the "best" setup: Install the Sony deck in the second slot under the original deck. Connect the current speakers to the Sony. Run a 1/8" stereo adapter to RCA from the deck to somewhere convienent in the cabin, so I can plug the laptop in. Find somewhere that I can install a pair of (cheap but functional) speakers to connect to the old deck. Configure the fade so all playback is out of the two speakers.

Benefits: I can play cd's, mp3's (via laptop), and my weatherband radio.

Cons: Normal radio is limited to the two speaker setup, since I imagine the weatherband radio requires the actual antenna. Or I'd need to find some way to install a second radio antenna. I'd have to find a place to install the second set of speakers. I'd imagine I'd want to run new power lines to the second radio so bad power/ground things don't happen. Then there's the wiring to the new speakers, too. Also, the Sony deck has a bad pot (or whatever they use lately) for the volume control that won't change if you spin it too quickly.

Someone wanna poke holes in my theory :cool:, or provide me with a better idea? :clap: