Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4EAT only has 1st and 2nd forward gears?

I went to look at a 1990 Legacy today, and the only real problem is the transmission. Reverse works fine, and in D, it works great for 1st and 2nd gear, but it just revs out beyond that. I don't know if it's related, but the "power" light flashed several times upon startup.

My understanding of the 4EAT is absolutely nil at this point. I'm going to have a peek at some FSM's this afternoon, but does anybody know what would cause such a problem? The owner thinks that the tranny is shot, but I'm wondering if it might just be a solenoid issue or band adjustment problem.

Anything you know about the 4EAT would be very helpful.

Thanks!

I went to look at a 1990 Legacy today, and the only real problem is the transmission. Reverse works fine, and in D, it works great for 1st and 2nd gear, but it just revs out beyond that. I don't know if it's related, but the "power" light flashed several times upon startup.

My understanding of the 4EAT is absolutely nil at this point. I'm going to have a peek at some FSM's this afternoon, but does anybody know what would cause such a problem? The owner thinks that the tranny is shot, but I'm wondering if it might just be a solenoid issue or band adjustment problem.

Anything you know about the 4EAT would be very helpful.

Thanks!

car needs a tranny. its slipping in third gear. Poweer light can be telling you any number of things, from a failed AWD system to fried solenoids in the tranny. Does it feel like its going into neutral, or that it slides and then goes into neutral.. hard to describe.

Check the fluid, burnt or brown, the tranny is shot.

nipper