Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got a New Rig WOOHOO

Brumby Boy

Well i havent been around the board much since my brumby/brat got stolen 5 months ago but now im back and with a new and much brtter ride

My new set of wheels is a 1990 subaru brumby/brat:banana: :headbang:

it has a 2" lift, custom bull bar, tow bar and full size 14" wheels (195-70R14)not sure what that works out to.

the insurance finaly decided to pay out 5 months later so most of that will be going to mum as she technically owned the last 1 but some of it and my income tax return from last year will be going into rebuilding the ej22 out of my liberty/legacy i bought for $300 a few months back and droping it in the hole that will be left buy pulling out the ea81 thats in there now hehe:grin: then i need to find a 5sp d/r or forester box and lsd, maybe lifting it another inch in the front, it just dosnt look tall enough lol

anyway no doubt you will be asking for picks so here are some for your enjoyment with more to come.

2127950.jpg

2127989.jpg

Below you can see, to the best of my knowledge, the longest bridge in australia and possibly the world NOT including aproches,

THE BURDEKIN RIVER BRIDGE

It spans across the width of my new play ground:grin:

2127937.jpg

2128015.jpg

2127970.jpg

Thanks man i love it for a car that has 230,000km on the odometer it's only rust is surface and a spot under the windscreen mould and along the front of the tray all easy to fix thank god.

The forester box has different ratios and will bolt straight up to the ej motor due to the different bellhousing. the ej box will need an adaptor. the ratios for the forester are worse for low range, designed more for hi-way use. however scorpian subaru in brisbane sell lower range gear sets for thes boxes. the other plus side is that i can run the ej rear diff which has solid stub axles unlike the ea series rear diffs, that way i should never snap a stub axle:rolleyes:

Ha Ha yea i dont plan on it gettin stolen this ones getin a full immobliser alarm including pin code key pad as part of the ej convert same immobliser/alarm used in the wrx and sti here in aus.

what type of body style did you get in the 90's? single head light DL style? or none at all?

oh tru thats weird yea the liberty, outback, impreza and forester all came out with the ej series liberty and outback had the ej22 the imp and forester only had the ej20. the forester and outback didnt come out till 97 over here and the imp in 94 and liberty in 89 imprity sure thats over here any way the ea 81 style was 82 to 94 over here i believe and the ea 82 was about the same i believe. correct me if im wrong someone.

Yeah, EA82 85-94. Brumby (in the style shown) 82-94. But no Hatchbacks!!!:eek:

Looks good mate. But I have to disagree with the AWD swap. I was at Peake (cool place with sand dunes in between me and Victoria, long way to drive) yesterday and watching the AWD's perform turned me off of the AWD conversion. The problem is, if you get one wheel in the air, the center diff just puts all (well, pretty much all) the power into that ONE wheel.. :( Also a better low range gearset costs $1500, way to much I reckon. There was a Forester with the gearset, but it didn't really do anything extreme, it climbed a coupe of sand hills, but my Brumby (with open diffs) went up there heaps easier. So I have to say stick with the 4 or 5 sp.. Unless you don't care about the offroad ability of cause :)

I have a dual range Liberty 5sp BTW, it has a bearing noise so it needs a rebuild. If you were closer you could buy it off me :D cheap. I am thinking about putting that EJ22 in now.. But my little 7K RPM dual carb 81 seemed to go up those hills as good as the RX turbo Brumby. hehe

EJ series D/R (not sold in America I hear) has a low gear ratio of 1.2:1

EA series D/R has a low gear ratio of 1.5:1 (these numbers are rounded off)

It makes all the difference! I seen it with my own eyes.

BTW the guy who had the Forester with the low range gearset got the set from http://www.subaxtreme.com.au/

• 2 weeks later...

Yea thats not a standard bullbar. i believe it was built by the previous owner.

yea i dont think ill do the awd swap. i hav access to a 5sp d/r to go behind the ej22 i am biilding at the moment. plus i am hopeing to add another 2 to 4 inches to the lift and some 31's or 33's.

i got a phone call yesterday too. my old ute was found in a creek burnt out:eek: :mad: , oh well at least i know where it is...

Don't ya wish you knew who it was so you could take those 33" tyres you want and drive all over the top of their car! muhahaha. If I was closer I would help hunt them down just for the fun of it! Set them up by parking your new car in the same place and waiting behind a bush or something all night.. with a 22!

i went and had a look at my old ute where it was i nearly cried when i saw it...

Makes me feel like beating someone up til you can't recognize them anymore.. If I catch anyone burning out a stolen car (little own a subaru) I don't know if I will be able to restain myself....