Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So here's the story:

Caving Trip: 9/9/06

We get alot of gear, and 4 people in the car, we're coming out of a campus road.. on to a main road, and one of my front tires slips and squeels a bit, you know now a bit deal... although i wasn't really hammering on it or anything. Then.. after getting the gear we forgot, it did it again, this time on a slightly downhill embankment... then finnally, we were at a stop light, slightly down hill, and there was a bump under one of the wheels.. .didn't really romp on it, and it does it again... SO.. the only thing i've done rescently to the car is change the oil.... that wouldn't give it any sort of rediculous torque gain... the rear end was sort of weighted down.. but not really more than a usual trip is..

I'll try chaning out the ATF and see what's going on.. but there's no sort of binding... and i'm pretty sure the fwd fuse wouldn't fix it.. being that it's the front wheels that are peeling out... Especially because i have oversized tires on it.. and it doesn't have any sort of torque to spin those... :confused:

It's a 97 OBS, 4eat, 2.2L, you know the deal....

Well, with my legacy back in the day, when the dumasses at subaru fixed my 4th gear, they made my AWD kick in late. For some reason it would make a bang and kcik in late. So at the time subaru dealer was like total noobs and so was me and my dad. So we drove like that until the car hit 270,000km(fixed tranny at 110,000km) lol. SO they changed the trans fluid and drive solenoid and clutch packs, and now she kicks in instantaniosly. lol. Here in Canada it was a fwd car in the winter. Which sucks butty, especially when ur driving a subaru. Well now we spent some money,and shes new. So change ur tranny fluid. I would think if the clutch packs get sticky and stuff it would cause this problem. But wait. Don't young children like me drive manual's? well i dont.

i've seen this happen if tires aren't the same tread depth. the TCU will act really weird...like it's confused, usually at low speeds...think parking lots or turns. it's been a while but the ones i've seen would even act strange driving straight, not just while turning. if it acts funny at all while driving straight i'd look into the tread depth, tire pressure and make sure all the tires are warn evenly. after that maybe check into the speed sensors? (the speed sensos suggestion is a shot in the dark though).

if it never does it while going straight, only while turning i'd be changing the ATF right away.

i'd check ATF, front diff and rear diff oils.

Tire Report:

(all measurement in thousands)

Front Drivers

Tread Depth: 240-250

Tire Pressure: 32.5psi

Front Passengers

Tread Depth: 170-180

Tire Pressure: 30psi

Rear Drivers

Tread Depth: 200-210

Tire Pressure: 32.5psi

Rear Passengers

Tread Depth: 240-250

Tire Pressure: 31.5psi

So i'm going to make a large assumption and say that the front pass. side is giving me some troubles... although, i should really equalize ALL of the tire pressures (yeah yeah..... :rolleyes: ) I'd also like to note that the Drivers side is in the sun... so those pressure readings could be a bit off due to the thermal stuff ;)

Now.... if i don't want to get a new tire... or have the others shaved down... where would the best place to put that one with the least amount of tread? i'm guessing the rear end... because it's basically a fwd car.. hmm....

ANd yes, it's a 4eat (auto)... but it also just ran over 183,000 miles :brow: