Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yikes! My car is puking chocolate milk out air intake!

This can't be good. My 91 Loyale is pretty vigorously puking a coolant/oil blend out the air intake box. I assume it is coming out throught the throttle body (I opened the air filter box and it was full of the stuff - I didn't, however, pull the intake boot at the TB). The radiator was almost completely dry, so I filled it and started the engine and the goop started spewing out. Amazingly, the car didn't stall, but I quickly shut it down once I realized what was happening. I assume this means I've blown a head gasket? Could it possibly be anything less severe? Something maybe to do with intake manifold gaskets? I've never seen a car cough up stuff like this through an air intake! Thanks for your thoughts.

- Ian

Sounds like a headgasket, there isnt any oil running through your intake gaskets so their is no way they are the problem. my car did the same thing when i blew a headgasket if you look at your dipstick you should see a milkshake on the dipstick and it will probably be well above the full line. this sort of headgasket is internal and all the coolant you add to your radiator is ending up in your crankcase. the coolant oil blend is most likely coming from you pcv tubes that run from your valve covers up to you trottle body boot then it goes into your trottle body and airfilter box.

This can't be good. My 91 Loyale is pretty vigorously puking a coolant/oil blend out the air intake box. I assume it is coming out throught the throttle body (I opened the air filter box and it was full of the stuff - I didn't, however, pull the intake boot at the TB). The radiator was almost completely dry, so I filled it and started the engine and the goop started spewing out. Amazingly, the car didn't stall, but I quickly shut it down once I realized what was happening. I assume this means I've blown a head gasket? Could it possibly be anything less severe? Something maybe to do with intake manifold gaskets? I've never seen a car cough up stuff like this through an air intake! Thanks for your thoughts.

- Ian

Sorry to give you the bad news but, from the sounds of it, its a headgasket. If it were an intake gasket, it would eat coolant into the intake and burn white smoke. Never fear though, headgaskets are fairly easy. Just search around! There's a few people who have asked how the easiest way to change a headgasket would be and stuff like that. Here's a quick rundown though. Pull the engine, best move you'll make. Then, pull the intake and the lines/electrical that goes with it. Set it aside but make sure you label where all the lines and connectors go! Then remove the valvecovers. Then the camcases. Then the heads. Swap in new headgaskets and reinstall heads, torquing to the required amount. Then install the camcases and valvecovers. Remember, the rockers WILL come out when removing the camcases so make sure you know which lifter they go on and use some assembly grease when installing them (just a dab on the lifter and stock the rocker too it). Then install the valvecovers. Required gaskets to do the job... valvecover gaskets and grommets, headsgaskets, and intake gaskets. Might as well, while its out, replace the exhaust gaskets if not done recently, and reseal the oilpump and oil pan. If the front and rear main seal look to be weeping a bit, might as well replace them too. If you've done one a basic reseal on a Subaru engine before, it'll take about a day to do. If not, a weekend if you have no problems with parts.

Do your self a favor and check/ clean out your PCV system too... kinda sounds like somethings plugged, and even though I"m fairly certain that you need a HG... you should also check out the PCV system too... its kinda odd to have it push it out the intake.... unless its really drining the rad into the air box:eek: I'm just thinking you might have something plugged also...

Definitely a HG. My XT Turbo did the exact thing when it blew one. Everything was covered, from the air cleaner box, to the turbo, all the way to the TB. Its backing up through your PCV system because your crankcase is overfull. Pull out your dipstick. If its anything like mine was, it'll be 5 times over the F mark.