Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Swapzilla Story

Numbchux

OK, now that I've got things pretty much setup how I want it, I thought I'd post a few pics and a few mod list of my '92 loyale frankenwagon. now known as 'Swapzilla'

ok, it started as a '92 loyale wagon, the SPFI EA82, and the FWD 3AT tranny. it was reliable as all getout, but slow, and crappy. mostly as a result of the tranny. as a result it inherited the nickname POSUV.

well, after I got my '85 5mt d/r wagon, the loyale just sort of got pushed into the woods a forgotten.

now, a few years later, we'd already parted out the '85, and it came time to do wheel bearings, ball joint, tie rod ends, shocks, etc. etc. on my mom's 240k mile '92 FWD 4EAT Legacy. so she replaced it with an '01 legacy. and, we began parting out the '92.

this last spring I bought an RX tranny, and matching rear LSD. and a pair of adapter plates (one for the loyale and the other for the lifted wagon, a project for next summer).

and this summer, I put it all together. using the rear trailing arm assembly, pedal box, and linkage from the '85, the RX tranny, LSD, adapter plate, and EJ22.

Also, I got a set of 400/450lb/in adjustable coilovers that a buddy of mine had on his GC8 imp, as well as XT6 sway bars (only the front one is currently mounted), and a rear disc conversion (using 200SX calipers, for rear handbrake, though I haven't connected the cables yet.)

I also used the front bumper and grill from my '85, instead of the fat lip look of the loyales. aswell as the white wagon wheels

quick list:

'92 loyale

4WD conversion

MT conversion

Rear disc conversion

rear handbrake conversion

XT6 front sway bar

EJ22

RX FT4WD D/R tranny

custom one piece driveshaft

400/450 lb/in adjustable coilovers

White Wagon wheels

and some pics, first with my H-alloys on it (these have real crappy tires, so I just did it to run to a local subaru meet one night):

PICT1821.jpg

PICT1822.jpg

PICT1824.jpg

underhood:

PICT1825.jpg

couple scenic shots here in Duluth:

PICT1834.jpg

PICT1835.jpg

NC (1 lifted, 1 low, 1 stock),

:clap:

Well done!

Appreciate you sharing your experience(s) with this project.

I have secret hots for those 'H alloys'... I tried my best to track them down when I was running a GL hatch, w/ no luck.

:cool: Keep up the great work.

Sincerely,

1989 Subaru JUSTY RS 4WD

121, 021 miles