Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 Turbo Upgrade

Jutboy

Well, well, I'm back guys and have done quite a bit on my car in the meantime.

At the moment I'm faced with a choice. I found a super cheap (and I mean cheap) turbo and intercooler system from a WRX 02.

I want to wack it in my 95 Impreza L AUTOMATIC 2.2 Ej22 (110k - perfect engine)

Now my first though would be no way - my engine/tranny can't handle it but I was talking to the guy and he said you could get a manual compression controller (???never heard of it before and some suggestions on what/where to get would be appreciated???) so I could drop the output to 8lbs. He said my engine could handle it easy.

Is this bull or what? Is this going to cost me a lot in reliablity? Is this going to be hard as to mount? (I have a decent 1/8' welder) And lastly whats a good price for the turbo/intercooler (has less than 35k on it)

Thanks for all your help - Jutboy

Well you need to realize that there's going to be a lot of work that you'll have to incorperate into this car. A turbo and intercooler arn't going to bolt right in. You'll also need exhaust (header and turbo back) coolant and oil lines for the turbo, piping for the intake and outlet sides of the turbo, piping for the intercooler, some sort of fuel management, and much more. If you do decide to go with it, you're reliability is going to go way down, along with fuel mileage. Best bet, find a wrecked Legacy SS with the EJ22T in it and swap it all over. Much more easier and will be more reliable. What your friend speaks of, is a manual boost controller, to adjust the output of the turbo. You can also get an electronic one and adjust it from inside the cab.

So, you might as well buy the car and drive it as it is. I have a ton of money into an older turbo Subaru and it still isn't running right and isn't very reliable.

a buddy of mine did this, with upgraded injectors, and piggyback ECU ('96 impreza L auto with PerfectPower 6 for management) and only 5psi of boost (EA82 wastegate on TD04) and had nothing but problems. he actually took it off about 6 months later for the sake of reliability.

BUT, another local guy just did the same, except with stock injectors and ECU, and 3psi more boost, and it runs awesome! as long as it's an OBDII (which your car should be) it's smart enough to compensate for the extra air. and he said that when he ran the OBDII diagnostic tests, it said the injectors were only running at 93%, so there's some room for more boost!!! now, keep in mind, although it's running awesome now, he only did this because he just finished his EJ22T (closed deck) build up, and wants to kill the motor that's in it. he is not expecting it to last through the winter.

long story short, I've got no definitive answer, just a couple personal situations to think about.

if I were doing this (and I might....someday), I'd run less boost, and no management.