Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where's the door ajar switch...?

Hi all!

A simple (I hope) question. Where is the switch on the hatch of a '98 Impreza Outback that will turn off the door ajar light on the dash?

The door ajar light on my friend's dash is on all the time, and from what I've read here, I guess there's a good chance it's due to the hatch. When I was looking around it today, I couldn't find any switch for the life of me. Actually, I couldn't find in on my Legacy Outback either!

Anyway, I'm trying to find out why that light is on in her car and it's the kind of light that doesn't show the exact door that's open, it just shows that one of them is not completely closed.

You are most likely correct in thinking the problem is with the hatch door switch but it could be another one also. The switches are incorporated with the latch itself I believe so you may have to get inside the door panel to check the switch contacts. I would check the voltage getting to the switch while the door is open and closed. The switch may make a ground connection when the door is open so the voltage across the switch would be zero volts when the door is open. If I am wrong, one way you will have a voltage and the other you won't at least.

Cougar is correct that the hatch door switch is part of the latch assembly.

The switches that actuate the warning light on the dash are the same ones that turn on the overhead interior lights. It should therefore be possible to determine for certain whether a passenger door or the rear hatch door is the culprit.

First, make sure that switches on the overhead light units are in the "Door" position (not "Off" or "On" positions). Then verify that opening/closing a passenger door operates the passenger compartment overhead light (Subaru usually calls that the "room light"). If the "room light" goes off with all the passenger doors closed, but the dash warning light is still on, then it isn't indicating a passenger door is ajar. (If the "room light" switch is in the "Door" position, but the "room light" remains on with all the doors closed, that's what has to be investigated.)

Assuming the passenger door circuit is okay, the hatch door switch is the next thing to check. Make sure there is nothing that would stop the hatch door from fully closing; the latch switch is very sensitive to the hatch door being only slightly ajar. Next, open the hatch door and then close it hard, and check whether the dash warning light and "luggage room light" have gone out. If not, the latch switch may be faulty, there may be a wiring short, or the latch may not be operating correctly. One more test can be done before disassembling anything; open the hatch, and actuate the latch mechanism manually, using a screwdriver or something similar. Look at the dash warning light and "luggage room light" again; if out, the latch switch may be okay, but the mechanism not latching correctly. If you've actuated the latch with the hatch door open, be sure to operate the hatch door opening lever/handle so that the mechanism unlatches before trying to close the hatch door.

It's also remotely possible that there's a problem with the circuit that turns on the dash warning light itself.

Hope that helps. Please let us know what you determine.

Thanks for all the info, guys. That's a pretty comprehensive write-up, OB99W![...]

You're welcome. I've found that being thorough often reduces the number of back-and-forth posts considerably. In this particular case, the "test lights" are built in ;) , and I thought taking advantage of that might lessen troubleshooting time.

Speaking of being thorough, one other thing that can sometimes cause the "door ajar" warning problem is an incorrectly installed (usually, after-market) alarm system.

I agree, OB99W, you did a fabulous job on your writeup! It sure is nice to read a response that is comprehensive, well thought out, and shows that the writer took the time to cover all of the procedures, as well as to check his spelling and grammar before posting his answer.