Ultimate Subaru Message Board

questions about EJ22 swap

AKIRA

first the radiator.

I was told that I could use the stock ea81 radiator, but that I should have the outlets inlarged, I called local radiator shops and was told that they don't do that, one even agrued with me that it wasn't possible.

I have access to an ea82 radiator, would it be adaquate?

how difficult would it be to fit it?

any other options on that?

the exhaust.

I am going to make the exhaust cat-back, because I was told that the stock was not adaquate, what diameter should I use?

EDIT: firefox messed up the spacing again

G'day Akira.

What you need to do is have the existing radiatior nipples cut off and have larger ones soldered on.

They are sort of right that it would be very hard to enlarge them, just replace them.

You will need a 60 degreee elbow (male/male) also for the bottom hose, use it as a joiner, you will see what I mean.

DO NOT USE the EA82 radiator, they suck compared to the EA81 in regards to cooling efficiency.

The 81 one will work fine, I have a constant temp needle all the time and my EJ22 has a supercharger!!!

As for the exhaust, get some flange plates, or cut some using a gasket as a template, then when it is all in the car and fitted up get your exhaust shop to bend some headers for you, the stock headers are restrictive and it's not always a drop in to get them to fit the EA xmember.

If you run into any dramas, Ask!

Matt

don't need to replace them. don't need to modify them at all, just use an adapter from 1 1/4" (radiator side) to 1 1/2" (engine).

not sure what you mean with the exhaust question. IIRC, none of your stock EA81 exhaust will work. you'll have to use some of the EJ exhaust, and have the rest custom made anyway.

LOTs of really good info here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48848

and I'm trying to put together all the info onto one site, I've got alot of it already done, but not all of it:

http://www.geocities.com/NumbchuxSOAD/EA2EJ

not sure what you mean with the exhaust question. IIRC, none of your stock EA81 exhaust will work. you'll have to use some of the EJ exhaust, and have the rest custom made anyway.

no no no, I mean cat back from the ej22 exhaust, as in I would use the ej22 exhaust from the engine to the catalytic converter, then make up the rest.

when I mentioned the stock was not adaquate - I messed up a little, I meant stock size (pipe diameter).

basically I was asking what diameter I should make the exhaust pipe, I know more flow than stock would be better, but I don't want a large system that would rob all the low-end torque.

no no no, I mean cat back from the ej22 exhaust, as in I would use the ej22 exhaust from the engine to the catalytic converter, then make up the rest.

when I mentioned the stock was not adaquate - I messed up a little, I meant stock size (pipe diameter).

basically I was asking what diameter I should make the exhaust pipe, I know more flow than stock would be better, but I don't want a large system that would rob all the low-end torque.

Ah, I see.....well, in all honesty. you pretty much can't go too big if you're only doing a cat-back. I'm not running anything beyond the cats. I've the y-pipe, mid-pipe, and that's it. so I've got 2 'cats' (though they have 240k miles on them....there pretty much rotted out), and no muffler. gives it a nice bark, and it's still got gobs of lo-end torque.

when I get a custom system made, I'm going to go with ~2.5" the whole way. I know a couple local guys who've done this, and it seems to give a nice sound (with a resonater and thrush glasspack), and lots of torque.

ok, well I think I will do a 2.5 inch from the cat back, just copying my exhaust (its some kind of custom dual setup, but the same diameter as stock). if I want to later I may remake the front part as well.

good to hear about the radiator, I thought it was some kind of mod to get it to flow better, but it sounds like it is just to get a hose to fit on it.

...good to hear about the radiator, I thought it was some kind of mod to get it to flow better, but it sounds like it is just to get a hose to fit on it.
Well, yes it is to make it flow better, in that the smaller inlet/outlets will not flow as well as the proper sized ones. The adapters that Numbchux was talking about apparently work, and may work well, but it is still an extra restriction to coolant flow.

There is no functional difference between comparable EA81 and EA82 radiators. The EA82 core is about 1 inch wider than the EA81. If you have an EA82 vehicle get a 2-row COPPER-core all-metal EA82 radiator, and either use the adapters or have the inlet and outlet tubes changed.

The adapters that Numbchux was talking about apparently work, and may work well, but it is still an extra restriction to coolant flow.

Very true, and should be considered. but I've been running them with a stock EA82 radiator (not a very good one either....it's got more than a few bent fins), with just one electric fan and no problems. yet... *knock on wood*