Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA 4sp and 5sp toughness?

Phizinza

the 4spd seems to have enough problems with big tires and a stock EA-81, the 5 speed is essentially the same as the later legacy stuff as far as strength goes, at least thats what i've been lead to believe, if you're pushing 200 hp, and if you are, i would assume you're gonna be using an EJ, i'd reccomend just using the dual range EJ tranny you have over there, or at the very least the 5mt dual range in the EA-82's if you need a true 4wd.

I've just recently watched a bunch of AWD dual range Foresters drive around in sand. I must say I was very disappointed in the AWD (one wheel spinning, all others not doing a thing) and even the one with the $1500 dual range gearset (gives it a 1.7 to 1 ratio, instead of the 1.2 to 1 they come with) was pretty crap.

If I were to use the Liberty dual range box I have sitting in my wrecked liberty(legacy) I would have to put a center LSD in it. And to my knowledge only STi's came with them, so your looking at $1000 bucks, plus $1500 for a decent low range. And if your cashing out that much why not spend the extra $1000 on a front LSD. So my $1500 project turns into a $6000 monster. Personally I am happy with FWD/4WD. Was just wondering, as I haven't ever damaged my gearbox (exept for reverse, which I have pretty much killed in one day of sand dunes.)

I've just recently watched a bunch of AWD dual range Foresters drive around in sand. I must say I was very disappointed in the AWD (one wheel spinning, all others not doing a thing) and even the one with the $1500 dual range gearset (gives it a 1.7 to 1 ratio, instead of the 1.2 to 1 they come with) was pretty crap.

If I were to use the Liberty dual range box I have sitting in my wrecked liberty(legacy) I would have to put a center LSD in it. And to my knowledge only STi's came with them, so your looking at $1000 bucks, plus $1500 for a decent low range. And if your cashing out that much why not spend the extra $1000 on a front LSD. So my $1500 project turns into a $6000 monster. Personally I am happy with FWD/4WD. Was just wondering, as I haven't ever damaged my gearbox (exept for reverse, which I have pretty much killed in one day of sand dunes.)

I'm not sure about over there, but here in the US, EJ AWD trannies all have center LSDs. the 5-speeds have a viscous coupler, and the 4EAT have a series of clutch packs. it's the fronts that are only LSD in the STi. but you can get aftermarket ones (OBX makes a nice helical one for a reasonable price, not sure about over in AUS, though) that work just fine.

and after driving my loyale for a few weeks with the RX tranny (1.2:1 lo range), it's just not enough. there's almost no difference at all.

anyway, if I were you, I'd go with a mildly built EJ22 and an EA82 5-speed D/R tranny (that's what I plan on doing next summer :headbang: )

Well these Foresters (which I assume have a simular trans to the Liberty) didn't have any form of lsd or clutch diff. All three were manual 5 speeds. They done better then any RWD or FWD would do, but there was still that 1 wheel spinning, 3 wheels not problem.

I've driven 3 EA82 5sp's and didn't like any of them. All were crunchy and didn't just slip into gear. But admittedly I have only driven 3 EA81's with 4sp's and only one of those (my Brat) had a decent trans. Although the others wern't like the 5sp's, instead it was just hard to find the right part on the gear lever where the gear was and then it sometimes just goes GEZZZZ and then goes into gear. I understand old gearboxes are old and used. But I seem to dislike the 5sp's a lot more then the 4sp's.

Other then the 5sp being stronger why are they picked over the 4sp? Is it just that higher 5th gear? At 100kmh (max speed limit here in Aus, 62MPH) my engine is at 3000RPM with the road wheels I run (25.5") I am quite happy with that.

anyway, if I were you, I'd go with a mildly built EJ22 and an EA82 5-speed D/R tranny (that's what I plan on doing next summer :headbang: )

Yeah. I am thinking of just putting the EJ22 I have in the Brat (ingnoring all the rules and laws ofcause, cost too much otherwise.) My only concern is it has over 300,000KM on the clock, idles high, and has a engine check light. I really need to look at it more. I don't want to spend $500 rebuilding it, as I think when it has a problem I can spend that money. They aren't hard engines to work on.

well, if you think those foresters had open center diffs, then they're different than any AWD EJ tranny here in the states. as I know for a fact that they're ALL LSD center.

yea, worn synchros are common. every MT subaru I've ever driven has 'em. (of course they all have pretty high mileage). consider yourself lucky yours doesn't. the bigger tires make it worse, I tried 2 different trannies in my lifted wagon that both shifted great on stock tires, but not on big ones. had to double clutch just to get it into first while moving.

IIRC, since the 5-speed has an extra gear, all of them are a bit closer, and 1st is a bit lower. I'd have to double check before saying for sure.

Ok.. I thought that 1st, 2nd, and 3rd were all the same. But 4th was a little lower and 5tha little higher. And the dual range is 1.51XX or something VS 1.49XX? With my 27" kumho's I can shift from 3rd to 2nd at 60km/h, and put it in 1st at 20km/h. The 85 with stock tires just crunches while softly changing from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd... I have a feeling I'll stick with my box as I like it and I think it will have a high enough 4th with my 25.5"s

If they had a LSD in the center, it's not the kind I would want (or care about) as I would want a LSD for the purpose of having more then 1 wheel spinning at a time. Anyhow, I just didn't like the AWD's in the sand, and I would think it would be worse on dry steep hills. As you don't use speed to get up as much as in sand.

I thought only the autos had those clutch packs. Normally FWD until loss of traction? I thought all manuals had just normal or lsd center diffs.

exactly correct. the autos have an electronically controlled hydraulic system that controls how much pressure is put on those clutch packs. can be modified to either release (FWD fuse under the hood), or lock (AndyJo did this with his Imp).

anyway, Austin and I went up to the Iron Range ORV park near my house. it's THE place to go wheeling in MN. his imp did awesome. no sand or anything, so it's not quite the same, but we never noticed any slip between the front and rear. he got high-centered, with one front wheel off the ground, and the rears on the ground, and one of the back wheels dug a whole trying to move the car on it's own....

regardless, I'd take a part-time Dual range box any day.