Ultimate Subaru Message Board

surely someone knows--stuck shift lever!

Something might be wrong with the shift lock solenoid circuit. There should be a slot where you can insert a screwdriver to manually unlock the lever, although I can't tell exactly where on 1st gen. Legacy. It should be in the owner's manual.

The linkage has probably jammed under the car right by the shift lever. Don't push too hard, it will break, been there, done that, stripped and junked that car. Squeeze under the car and hose the whole linkage cable stup down with penetrating oil, PB blaster/Kroil not wd40, it won't cut the mustard. Work the lever jently and see if it will free up.

Electrical or mechanical is the first question.

There is an over ride to release the interlock, look in the owners manual, as i dont know how it works on your car. I know on the late 90's it underneath the trim panel around the prndl321 selector.

With the car on press the brake pedal, then press the release button, you should here a click, thats the relay and solenoid operating. If you dont here this you have an electrical problem. Check you brake switch, the relay, and the switch in the release button. If you do a search here you will find some talking of a pin falling out of the interlock.

nipper