Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission swap

Hey guys 3 weeks ago I picked up an '82 brat 4x4, runs good but the tranny grinds going into third, it leaks terribly, the clutch is questionable, and it only had 4 sloppy speeds, so facing all of this ive been looking for a new trans and ive stubled across an 87 brat with an auto that i could get everything i need for $175.00, The guy assured me all i will need is the trans, flexplate, torq conv. shifter/linkage/trim, cooler lines, and speedo cable.

but after looking at his car vs. my car the setup looks real different, his car is a turbo F.I. unit and the xfer case is electronic the radiator looked different too, i didnt see spoths for the cooler lines on mine, is this tranny electronic?

from what i can tell subaru keeps alot of stuff the same but...

is this even realistic, will my car even have enough power with an auto or should i be looking for a five speed, or consider a rebuild on my 4 speed?

thanks

-Sam

By the way im a scout freak, gas prices have turned me towards subaru, it seems like their even harder to find parts for than scouts any tips on finding parts is apriciated too

you do not want to do this swap. the auto trans will also need the wiring harness swapped over too, big PITA going from manual to auto. i'm not a brat expert so i hope i'm wrong, but on all the newer soobs starting with the EA82 80's vehicles would be a nasty job. but of course it *can* be done.

in your list of needs you also need to add the pedal assembly (annoying to swap). you shouldn't have any problems finding a decently priced transmnission for your brat and leaving it manual. with the age and miles on these things i'd want to stick with a manual anyway. i'd think a 20 year old automatic would be much more likely to have problems later on. the ATF coolant lines flow through the radiator side tanks, that's the difference you saw. you would either need the radiator for an automatic or install an aftermarket stand alone ATF cooler ($30). you'll also need the rear driveshaft since the auto and manual trans are different lengths.

if the rear diff is a different ratio (it usually is from auto to manual), you'd need to swap the rear diff with it as well. thats really easy to do though.

didn't brats change between 82 and 87?

the body on this car was the same as mine, but thats all i needed to know this swap is way more than im intersted in i just considered it because of the cost, and the fact that all the other subarus ive touched all had the same lousy shifting, i know the older units also came auto, but ive yet too see one in 4x4

-Sam

My younger brother seems to swear by GM SynchroMesh gear oil for transmissions with shifting problems. I have yet to try it, but he had a gearbox that finally refused to go into 2nd, and he switched out to the GM syncrhomesh and after a little while it was shifting into second with an occasional bit of friction, but otherwise smooth. Not a gear to slam it into, but if you drove with a bit of sense, it was easy and it ran.. until the trans was replaced with one of choice. (he was building a CRX HF, the 1700 lb econobox, into an SI) this was in a honda transmission, but he says it works great in any vehicle with synchros... has anyone ever heard of this?

I mention it because i have thought of it numerous times, but not having a stickshift myself :( :( :( I have yet to post a thread on it. and I'm no brat guy, but what i have read told me from the outset that this swap is going to be more complex, and less satisfying, than you could possibly hope. you could probably IMAGINE worse, but i doubt it is worth your time. better to try and hold off until you can find a fivespeed gearbox.. it sounds like you want this car for a toy, not as a putt-putt daily driver.. you wanna Drive it, right???? Hang around this forum and read up about the different options available, because the gearbox selection is more or less intimately tied with the driveline overall (full time/part time, dual range or not, etc) in just about any of these cars. There may have been fewer options for the brat than for my car (the later loyale-style ea82 series) but you dont want the one out of the 87. sounds like its one of the electronically controlled autos, and theyre good gearboxes i guess.. but not what you want. just be patient, and maybe try this synchro mesh fluid.. i can ask him about it and get more details if you dont know what im talking about (i must confess i have yet to buy it or see it in a store)

but has anyone else ever heard of what im talking about, or tried it?

EDIT

i guess it must have been the remark about the wires on the transfer case... that made me think of the electronic automatic trans, my bad. the 3at is a crummy transmission, believe me. who wants to mate a four cylinder with a three speed???!!!

Here's the painfull truth - the trans won't fit. Not without modifiying the tranmission tunnel. The physical sheet metal of the floor pan is a different part number, and shaped differently. It's larger on the auto, and so is the shifter hole, etc. Cutting, beating and possibly welding in new metal would be required to make it fit right.

Wireing is minimal actually - that wouldn't be a problem. The 3AT is not electronic, so only some minor changes need to be made.

You will lose a TON of power, as those early torque converters were junk, and it's a 3 speed. Plus the failure rate of the 3AT is high. They eat governor gears like candy, and sometimes just completely fail.

Basically it's not worth the effort.

Find a 5 speed from an EA82 body car, and put that in. Much easier to get it in, and the results will be a lot superior.

Lousy shifting is common with the 4 speed, but NOT with the 5. They shift very well.

GD

Hey Scout This is Jerry, i would have to agree with GD the only way to go is with the 5 speed. I make a 5 speed kit to fit your brat that keeps everything stock in your brat. Just unbolt the old and bolt the new back in. Thanks Jerry

I *highly* recommend Jerry's kit. The fit and finish is excelent. It's worth the paltry sum he charges to not go through the headache of trying to make it fit without hitting the tunnel, and he does the modifications to the shift linakages so your end product will look 100% stock inside. I have one, and I love it.

GD

5 speed has a completely different linkage, and they usually just need some cheap bushings from the dealer when they get sloppy.

If you want to fix the 4 speed linkage, there's a couple ways, but none have really proven to work well in the long term. I've given up with them as I run 5 speeds in all mine now. But if you really want to be a contortionist you can drill out the shift rod in the trans and put a bolt in there. Along with cutting a slot for added clamping force into the sides of the shifter sleeve you can usually get them tight for a while. It's just a bad design tho, and they always get loose again. Do a search on here for "shifter slop" and you will find a number of posts by me and others on the 4 speed linkages. The bad linkage is half the problem with the 4 speed - it contributes to reverse gear failure, and it plays a part in that 3rd gear syncro problem too.

Kit includes a custom cross-member that bolts to the EA81 body, and the EA82 5 speed transmission, and also allows it to clear the transmission tunnel without rubbing or requireing you to beat the tunnel out for clearance. Also comes with customized shift linkage to adapt to the differences in length of the 5 speed (whole transmission is shorter) vs. the 4 speed. You send him parts of your old linkage, and the 5 speed linkage and he will work them into the proper sizes. It will look 100% stock, you will just have 1 extra gear.

5 speeds are all over the place - any 85-89 GL wagon with a manual will likely have what you need.

GD

A scout nut huh. I have a friend who has two of them. Both get 10mpg on a good day, but could pull a house (actually, he did pull a trailer with two 8 by 12 sheds on it, from east Denver back up to Ward). Actually, he's selling the 1968 800A if you're interested...

But back to subaru stuff. Yes, the old four speeds do get pretty sloppy sometimes, and seem to loose 3rd gear snycros too. I'm going to put a 5 speed dual range in my older wagon too. I've never had trouble finding parts at Checker auto or Napa. Maybe because every third car here seems to be an 80's subaru. Superrupair is decent (though they seem to be getting out of parting out the EA81 and EA82 cars :-\ ), and someone on the board usually has stuff. 1stsuburuparts.com is good if you want new dealer stuff. Rockauto.com also has stuff for good prices, although it's not always the right part :confused:.

Zeke

Dont distract me, im not permitted to have any more scouts until the brat is on the road. :)

Ok so ive found 2 possible trannys for the brat, the first is in an 81 wagon the odometer reads 117xxx the linkage feels much tighter than mine, its a 4 speed, but the starter motor is way bigger and the way the clutch cable links up is different looks a little different over all too. but they said theys sell me the trans and the sweet front bumper, grill lights and hardware for $150

#2 is in an 83 wagon it is a 5 speed and it looks all the same as mine but the odometer reads 309xxx! and the linkage feels sloppy just like mine and this yard wants $160 plus a $25 core! thats all ive found that is complete with the dual range cases, there were a few others that were 2wd and single speed cases or alot newer

so if i get a 5speed out of an 84 and older is going to be direct bolt in? modifying the linkage doesnt scare me but screwing with the trans tunnel/crossmember doesnt sound like any fun at all and spending $700+ on a installation kit and used tranny doesnt sound too fun either. im going to az next weekend so ill search around there,

if i do keep the 4 speed i wonder just how much highway cruising speed and gas mileage it will cost me? not having an overdrive gear really sucks

• 6 months later...
Hey Scout This is Jerry, i would have to agree with GD the only way to go is with the 5 speed. I make a 5 speed kit to fit your brat that keeps everything stock in your brat. Just unbolt the old and bolt the new back in. Thanks Jerry

Hello Jerry,

This is scott i am a new member to Utimate Rue and i have an 85 brat. I was reading POORAU'S THREAD on trans swap and he suggested u. I would like to put an 5speed into my brat and i dont know what trans to pull. I know that u make a kit witch i could purchase if possible, that would be great. Any info that u could give would be great and appreciated!

sandshark

Hey jerry this is scott again. I forgot to mention that I want to lift, and put a 1.8 or 2.2 turbo in the bratster. I'm not that informed to the specs, but i can do the work. thanks again for any info that u can give scott aka the sandshark.