Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's happened to a friend's car a few times now... going uphill in a 96 Legacy (150,000 miles) the car stalls out. Pull to side of road. Turn car off few minutes start and all is well.

Any suggestions?

Car has had fairly routine maintenance. Where to start?? There is a post about failing ignition relays but didn't seem isolated to uphill conditions.

...Pull to side of road. Turn car off few minutes start and all is well. Any suggestions?

Clean the PCV valve since that is very cheap. Then clean the IAC valve. If you search you will find instructions for IAC cleaning. Next consider changing the fuel filter if it hasn't been done recently.

Any codes?

the light may "always" be on, but there is a reason for it... though it may not be the cause of the stalling problem. as stated, it defintiely sounds like a fuel delivery problem.

how is the performance on flat ground? any trouble hitting/maintaining interstate speeds? if not, then it may NOT be the fuel filter. more likely to be the pickup in the tank... which begs the question. exactly how steep is this hill?:brow:

A cheap actron reader from pepboys reads the codes on my '96 legacy with no problem, '96 actually has to be ODBII per federal requirements I believe. I've climbed steep winding grades with this '96 with no issues but with a full tank of gas, maybe if there's not much in the tank it can run the pickup dry?

From personal experience, if there is a scant amount of gas left in the tank, then you can stall the car going uphill on moderate grades. I made the mistake of telling my wife that there was plenty of gas in my Outback for her to run a short errand just a couple of weeks ago. Sure enough, she chose the "steep" route to the store, and stalled it out about 1/2 way there. She called me, I showed up, we pushed the car so it was facing downhill, I promptly started it up and drove home.

Boy, was she P.O.'ed! :-\